How to add fish

1. katiemorrison94 Member Member

I am restocking my 60 gallon freshwater aquarium. It is going to be a planted tank (i'm slowly getting that down). Once I finish I am going to began ordering fish online. How do I go about adding the fish without causing a huge ammonia spike? I will be ordering all the fish at once since the shipping is so expensive. I will be ordering 15 neon tetras, 10 rummynose tetras, and maybe another type of fish. I know I can't add 25 fish in all at once. I have a extra 10 gallon tank I could hold them in for a few days but I can't keep them in there to long.

Advice please?

2. madisons obbsession Member Member

is the 10 gallon cycled? is the 60 gallon cycled?

3. katiemorrison94 Member Member

The 60 gallon is cycled, but the 10 gallon is not. I can just add tank water from my 60 to the 10 gallon tank. How should I add them? Should I add them in groups of 5 then wait a few days then add more and more? I just don't want to kill any of them

4. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

The tank water from the 60 won't help you with the 10's cycle. Can you move some cycled media over to the 10's filter instead? That's where your good bacteria reside;)

5. katiemorrison94 Member Member

I have a canister filter so no I can't. I can maybe leave an extra sponge of something in my 60 gallon for a few weeks until I actually order the fish then I can put that in the filter for the 10 gallon.

When I do that, should I add one group of fish at a time or should I add 5 or so fish at one time? I've never added this many fish at one time before.

6. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

It will depend on the type and size of the fish. Some have higher bioloads than others. So you might be able to add a small school of tetras or a single Pleco.

Canister filters have removable media, all you have to do is take out some of the ceramic beads or cut out a piece of sponge;)

7. katiemorrison94 Member Member

Oh darn I forgot about those bioballs and ceramic rings that I have!!! Perfect! I will do that right away. Thank so much!

8. beau Well Known Member Member

What ppm ammonia has your 60gal been cycled up to? Adding the majority to the 10gal and then only adding a few at a time to the 60gal would cause a massive spike in the 10. If your 60gal has been cycled with a reasonable amount of ammonia (4ppm or so) I personally would add all at once, as the fish shouldn't create much more ammonia than that.

9. katiemorrison94 Member Member

My aquarium has been up and running without any problems or changes for about a year now. My goldfish just recently died within a month of each other from what I believe is old age. (i've had them for about 7 years, just different tanks) If I can add them all at once that would be great and so much easier!

10. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

Yes but without an ammonia source for a while now your bacteria could have died off or gone dormant and won't be able to handle a sudden influx of ammonia.

11. beau Well Known Member Member

I would recommend looking up fishless cycling, and start that process. You'll know if the tank is still cycled if it is processing any ammonia you add within 24hours. If the bacteria has indeed died then imo you'll have to do a fish in cycle with the entire amount of fish, as you won't have any cycled media to move to the 10gal either. If you need help with if fish in cycle I can run through the steps for you. :)

12. katiemorrison94 Member Member

Yes please. I haven't cycled a tank in a very long time. I had my goldfish for 7 years!!

13. beau Well Known Member Member

Okay, so first you'll absolutely need a liquid test kit on hand, if you don't have one already. You'll also need a product that can neutralize ammonia and nitrite, I recommend Seachem Prime.

Test your ammonia daily.
    If ammonia is less that 1ppm, dose Prime for the volume of the tank.
    If ammonia is 1ppm or over, do a water change to bring it down, and then dose Prime for the volume of the tank.
    Prime is safe up to 5x the recommended dose, so I wouldn't go more than 5 days without a water change.

If your ammonia is staying very low or is dropping to zero, check your nitrites. If you have readings for them then repeat the steps above. Once both ammonia and nitrite are consistently sitting at zero and you have a reading for nitrates, you'll know your tank is cycled!

14. katiemorrison94 Member Member

Thanks so much!

15. madisons obbsession Member Member

I think if your going to order all your fish at once you should start with adding a few at a time to you 60 gallon and add a few to your ten gallon so fish don't have to stay in the bag for days

Also, what type of fish and how many of each are you adding

16. katiemorrison94 Member Member

Im planning on getting 15 neon tetras, 10 cherry barbs, and 8 sterbai corys for right now. I actually found the neons and cherrys close to me for a decent price so they only ones I'm ordering are the corys.