How To Add Fish in Moderation

Newb21

Hello all. My tank (20g) is finally cycled! I'm so excited but I know adding fish will be another exercise in patience for me. In the end, I plan on having 6 zebra danios, six pygmy cories, 2 or 3 guppies, and 1 or 2 honey gourami. Based on what I've read elsewhere, I shouldn't be adding more than 3 fish at a time in a new tank. On top of that I'll need to wait two weeks before adding the next set. So, I have a rough idea on how I'll do it but do y'all have any suggestions? Do any of these fish need to be added first? ie the cories since theyre shy, would they benefit from being some of the first into the tank; or perhaps the danios because of how hardy they are? Do the schooling fish need to be added altogether at the same time? If so, how?

My rough plan:
1) 3 danios; wait 2 weeks
2) 3 more danios; wait two weeks
3) 3 pygmy cories; wait to weeks (around this point I imagine the bioload capacity of my filter could handle more than 3 small fish at a time. If so, could I add the whole school?)
4) 3 more pygmy cories; wait two weeks
5) Add the guppies; wait two weeks
6) Add the gourami

Let me know if this is the right amount of caution, too little, or overkill. I have greatly enjoyed everyone's help on this site. I know it's a long, rambling message but Thank you in advance for your help and I look forward to reading your input!

Kaity

Add all danios wait.... Add all gourami wait.... Add all guppies wait... Add all cories...
That's how I would do it but there are lots of methods and theories.

Upvote 0

Newb21

Add all danios wait.... Add all gourami wait.... Add all guppies wait... Add all cories...
That's how I would do it but there are lots of methods and theories.
Thank you! That definitely seems more appealing than my method lol

Upvote 0

Fanatic

I agree, generally if I am going to have more than one species of fishing in a tank, they all get added in groups.

Upvote 0

Newb21

I agree, generally if I am going to have more than one species of fishing in a tank, they all get added in groups.
Very helpful; thank you

Upvote 0

mattgirl

Let your numbers be your guide as to how long to wait between additions. We are waiting for the bacteria to catch up with the higher bio-load. If you get an ammonia reading wait until it zero's out before adding more fish.

How much ammonia has this tank been processing within 24 hours? The higher the number the more bacteria this tank will have grown. If it has been processing 3ppm ammonia you could very well have already grown enough bacteria to handle the bio-load of all the fish you plan on adding and can go ahead an add all of them at the same time.

Waiting to add fish is normally recommended when one is doing a fish in cycle. When doing a fishless cycle the amount of ammonia the tank will process will determine how much bacteria there will be. The higher that number the more fish we can add all at the same time.

Upvote 0

Newb21

" How much ammonia has this tank been processing within 24 hours? The higher the number the more bacteria this tank will have grown. If it has been processing 3ppm ammonia you could very well have already grown enough bacteria to handle the bio-load of all the fish you plan on adding and can go ahead an add all of them at the same time."

Great question. I will check my log when I get home tonight. It's a water testing day anyway.

Upvote 0

Newb21

Hi everyone! I feel like a necromancer but I added my two Honey Gourami (I tried to get my schooling fish in first but a lot of stuff happened) a week ago and have zero increase in ammonia and nitrites with only slight elevation in nitrates that were formerly zero as well. Am I in the clear to add more?

Upvote 0

mattgirl

Hi everyone! I feel like a necromancer but I added my two Honey Gourami (I tried to get my schooling fish in first but a lot of stuff happened) a week ago and have zero increase in ammonia and nitrites with only slight elevation in nitrates that were formerly zero as well. Am I in the clear to add more?
Yes, I do believe you can add your next fish.

Upvote 0

Newb21

YESSSSSSSS. Party On!

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
StarGirl
Replies
Views
OuiBonjour