How To Add Angelfish

barbiespoodle

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hi.

K, here's the situation. I was given/rescued a angelfish, a beautiful, from what I gathered, koi. In the 2 months I've had him he's thrived and grown, now about 3 or so inches around. Got to say, I'm in love with him, he is beautiful to watch and is even taking bloodworms from my hand so has become a bit of a pet.

so I'm wondering if he needs other angels to be happy.

Here's my tank. 55 gallons. This tank has been going continually for over 30 years so to say it's well seasoned is an over statement. Right now it has two marineland bio filters equal to 90 gallons, water changes of about 25% every other week, changing the filters when needed and the bio wheels have never been cleaned. All water testing have been great.

Fish load, 9 guppies, 7 mollies, 6 platies, 2 extremely old (10 years, maybe more) giant danios, 5 cory cats, 5 otto cats. The angel is peaceful and comfortable with these fish.

To get to the point, should I add more angel's?

Suggestions appreciated.

Crispii

Well Known Member
Reaction score
You can add at least 3 more, but angelfish can live themselves.

fishpersonallday

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
How big is the angel? In my time knowing angels I think one OR a mating pair is your best bet. Because as angels get older sadly they pick off each other except for their mate. It's very sad for fish owners. I am concerned for your guppies though, the angel will pick them as a snack eventually.

Thunder_o_b

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Stick with the one if you have not kept angels before. Things can get complex fast if you put angels together if they are not all young. And if you get a mated pair (females also pair up) the other fish may be in harms way.

I never keep more that two medium angels in a 55.

And I have to agree that guppies will end up as a snack for a full grown angel.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom