How to add a varied diet for my fish

Mii

Active Member
Member
Messages
347
i've heard that having a varied diet is better for fish's health and was wondering what i should feed my fish to supplement their normal foods, i'm currently feeding gouramis Fluval bug bites flakes "betta formula" as gouramis and bettas are the same family so i assumed it would be good for them, and my corys i just bought get Sera "tropical crisps" for bottom feeders. i would like to add some variation to their diet. also i'm not going to do live food because then i have to go to the trouble to KEEP it alive, but frozen foods would be ok. would corys and gouramis both appreciate frozen-thawed blood worms? any other suggestions for either group of fish? i'm planning on getting some neon tetras and otocinclus later on, so any suggestions for those would be good. i've heard of people feeding otos cucumber and zucchini, do you need to blanch it or can you just wash any pesticides off and throw it in?
 

Ambie

Active Member
Member
Messages
190
First off i've never had a fish that didn't go crazy for frozen bloodworms, and with my otos/cories i tend to go between algae wafers, spinach, cucumber, romaine lettuce, zucchini and repashy soilent green. And the cories love bloodworms and other frozen foods as well.

But other frozen foods i feed include frozen SF Bay/Hikari Freshwater Frenzy, Emerald Entrée, and Spirulina Brine Shrimp, and Mysis Shrimp and i also keep a variety of staple dry foods like new life spectrum and sera O nip tabs that i switch around during the week.

Also side note: some folks are allergic to bloodworms. Take a guess how i know. :happy:
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #3
OP
Mii

Mii

Active Member
Member
Messages
347
Ambie said:
First off i've never had a fish that didn't go crazy for frozen bloodworms, and with my otos/cories i tend to go between algae wafers, spinach, cucumber, romaine lettuce, zucchini and repashy soilent green. And the cories love bloodworms and other frozen foods as well.

But other frozen foods i feed include frozen SF Bay/Hikari Freshwater Frenzy, Emerald Entrée, and Spirulina Brine Shrimp, and Mysis Shrimp and i also keep a variety of staple dry foods like new life spectrum and sera O nip tabs that i switch around during the week.

Also side note: some folks are allergic to bloodworms. Take a guess how i know. :happy:
So people can be allergic to bloodworms. Have you ever had a problem with fish being allergic to them or just humans?
 

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Member
Messages
20,685
Ambie said:
First off i've never had a fish that didn't go crazy for frozen bloodworms, and with my otos/cories i tend to go between algae wafers, spinach, cucumber, romaine lettuce, zucchini and repashy soilent green. And the cories love bloodworms and other frozen foods as well.

But other frozen foods i feed include frozen SF Bay/Hikari Freshwater Frenzy, Emerald Entrée, and Spirulina Brine Shrimp, and Mysis Shrimp and i also keep a variety of staple dry foods like new life spectrum and sera O nip tabs that i switch around during the week.

Also side note: some folks are allergic to bloodworms. Take a guess how i know. :happy:
That's a great diet. One thing Cories are 95% on the carnivorious side (that's why they love bloodworms) and Oto's like a bit of.protein food as well
 

Ambie

Active Member
Member
Messages
190
DoubleDutch said:
That's a great diet. One thing Cories are 95% on the carnivorious side (that's why they love bloodworms) and Oto's like a bit of.protein food as well
Always thought their diet leaned more toward herbivore, I'm going to increase their diet with more protein. But to be honest they always the first at the table for the majority of the brine shrimp/bloodworm.
 

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Member
Messages
20,685
Ambie said:
Always thought their diet leaned more toward herbivore, I'm going to increase their diet with more protein. But to be honest they always to to be the first a the table for the majority of the brine shrimp/bloodworm.
Just received my new load of dry food
 

Attachments

Ambie

Active Member
Member
Messages
190
Mii said:
So people can be allergic to bloodworms. Have you ever had a problem with fish being allergic to them or just humans?
Never heard of fish only people.
I tend to get a bit itchy after touching them, so i put on gloves and feed with tongs.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #8
OP
Mii

Mii

Active Member
Member
Messages
347
Ambie said:
First off i've never had a fish that didn't go crazy for frozen bloodworms, and with my otos/cories i tend to go between algae wafers, spinach, cucumber, romaine lettuce, zucchini and repashy soilent green. And the cories love bloodworms and other frozen foods as well.

But other frozen foods i feed include frozen SF Bay/Hikari Freshwater Frenzy, Emerald Entrée, and Spirulina Brine Shrimp, and Mysis Shrimp and i also keep a variety of staple dry foods like new life spectrum and sera O nip tabs that i switch around during the week.

Also side note: some folks are allergic to bloodworms. Take a guess how i know. :happy:
Do you need to blanch veggies for the fish or not?
 

Ambie

Active Member
Member
Messages
190
Mii said:
Do you need to blanch veggies for the fish or not?
I always do. To soften them and so they sink, sometimes I'll use a skewer to keep to from floating.
 

New Threads

Similar Threads

Similar Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
223
Guests online
3,413
Total visitors
3,636

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom