How to accommodate Dragon Goby fish?

playbass

I was at my local fish store a few days ago, and I saw one of these things and thought they were the coolest thing ever, so I brought one home. At the store, they were being kept in freshwater tanks. So I thought it's be fine. Then I did some research when I brought him home, and read about brakish water. I figure I should get some marine salt in the water for him, but would my other fish be alright with that? (I have a blackskirt tetra, clown loach, gold dojo loach, cory cat, a couple plecos, a rainbow shark, a garra rufa, and two [very small] cichlids) all in a 36 gallon. My tank is planted, the ambient temperature is around 78 degrees, the substrate is fine (almost like sand, but not quite) and he has an airplane decoration he likes to hide in. He's mostly eating bloodworms. Are these things okay? Anything you can tell me? How much salt should I put in the water? Thank you.

Mamajin

HI there playbass

You'll need a completely new tank set up specifically for brackish water fish. I would also encourage you to research fish before bringing them home.

playbass

There's no chance I could just add marine salt to my current tank to accommodate him?

Mamajin

The fish you currently have are not brackish water fish, so it's not something that I would personally advise. As far as I am aware, any type of salt is harmful to loaches and cories.

JRC3

There's no chance I could just add marine salt to my current tank to accommodate him?

No chance at all. In a 36g you would roughly need about 3-4 cups of salt for the goby and the other fish simply cannot tolerate that. Brackish water can't be made with a few tablespoons of salt like some fish stores might lead you to believe.

Also keep in mind that the fish store keeps them in Freshwater because of space limits and it is very temporary. Basically the goby can't be kept long term in your other fishes FW.

Sorry.

playbass

But, agh. There's no halfway point? As in, adding enough salt so that the Goby can survive, but not so much that it'll kill my other fish? I mean, I'm willing to set up a Brakish tank if I absolutely have to, but I'd rather not.

Mamajin

No. You would either need to return the fish, adopt it out to someone with a brackish water tank, or set up a new brackish water tank yourself.

JRC3

There's no halfway point? As in, adding enough salt so that the Goby can survive, but not so much that it'll kill my other fish?
Will it kill the fish? Probably not. But they will live a very short unhealthy life.

I know it's frustrating but we should never put our wants before the fishes needs.

LyndaB

Could you please address our stocking information/advice in your other thread? Thank you.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
ThatLittleFox
Replies
Views
Rose of Sharon
Replies
Views
BettaBabe713
Replies
Views