How To Acclimate Fish?

1. Z

Z123Killer Well Known Member Member

I have 9 neons and 1 endler/feeder guppy in a qt tank and I was going to transfer them to the main tank tomorrow. But how do I acclimate them? The water temperature will be as close as possible but how do I acclimate them to the water?

2. Philosoraptor

Philosoraptor Valued Member Member

Acclimation can range in simplicity depending on what types of fish you have and how new your tank is. I would recommend placing your fish in a container floating in your tank and drip water into the container for around an hour. That way they will get used to the parameters of their new tank as well as the temperature.

3. Piaelliott

Piaelliott Well Known Member Member

I don't acclimate, other than temperature.

The last time the non- acclimated fish started eating immediately. Are your water parameters in your two tanks so much different?

4. OP
    OP
    Z

The main tank is cycled, the qt isn't, but I do daily water changes, plus daily doses of Prime, so they are not that different

5. Philosoraptor

Philosoraptor Valued Member Member

Unless the pH and hardness of the two tanks are significantly different, then you might be okay with letting them go immediately.

6. clk89

clk89 Fishlore VIP Member

If your parameters aren't that different then at the very least allow bag to float for ten minutes. If you are unsure then let bag float for ten minutes, and then add a little bit of tank water into the bag, taking some of the old water out. Sit for five minutes, then repeat until bag mostly has the new tank water in it.

Personally I have to drip acclimate almost all new fish due to my PH being 8.2. Even local fish stores tend to be lower in PH then mine.

7. OP
    OP
    Z

Ok, should I put them in a bucket and add tank water that way instead?

8. clk89

You can use a bucket or what I do is use a ziplock bag, then use a chip clip to clip it to the side of the tank.

9. OP
    OP
    Z

Good idea, I might do it that way. I was thinking about giving them a Prazipro bath just incase which is why I wanted to have them in a small bucket, do you think I should give them the bath or will that stress them out too much?

10. clk89

I only medicate if I see that the fish are sick. I know some people like to do preventative baths like that. It's basically a personal choice.