How To Acclimate Betta?

ben_125
I’m planning on getting a Betta fish once my tank is done cycling. I’m a little confused on how to acclimate my Betta since there are so many options. Which would be the best? I also don’t know how to acclimate a fish in a cup like a Betta. Most articles are referring to bagged fish. Should I transfer it to a bag? I’m not sure but I have heard of floating the bag then introducing and also slowly adding aquarium water.

Fanatic
You can actually acclimate a cup the same way you would a bag.
Just float the betta cup on the surface, and follow the steps like you normally would

Preston Landolt
I’m planning on getting a Betta fish once my tank is done cycling. I’m a little confused on how to acclimate my Betta since there are so many options. Which would be the best? I also don’t know how to acclimate a fish in a cup like a Betta. Most articles are referring to bagged fish. Should I transfer it to a bag? I’m not sure but I have heard of floating the bag then introducing and also slowly adding aquarium water.

I would say just put it in a bag that’s half full of the water he’s in and rest it in your aquarium. Every 5 mins add your aquarium water in his bag until the bag is full. Then you can put the fish in. It should take like 20 mins all together. (This is just my favorite way)

ben_125
I would say just put it in a bag that’s half full of the water he’s in and rest it in your aquarium. Every 5 mins add your aquarium water in his bag until the bag is full. Then you can put the fish in. It should take like 20 mins all together. (This is just my favorite way)
Have you lost any fish this way?

Nelly
Hi! Just float the cup as you would a bag but don’t add water into the cup. All you need to do is float it for 20-30 minutes. The other way can sometimes cause more harm than good. Also anyone who sees this please go on the thread that’s called something along the lines of: HELP!! Tetra infection or injury?? Please HELP!! If you couldn’t tell I’m in need of help so please go over there if you know anything about columnaris or about aggressive Bettas.

LuxuriantTen
I like putting my fish in a bucket when I acclimate them, then slowly add water using a cup (every 5 minutes a cup of water until the amount of water in the bucket has tripled) or using drip acclimation. Can't remember I've ever lost a fish in the acclimation process this way.

When you are ready to put you betta in the tank I would use a net, don't add water from the store in your aquarium.

Preston Landolt
Have you lost any fish this way?

Nope, I find it to be better than just temperature acclamation. I’m doing it for an Oscar right now!

BettaNovice101
The slower acclimation process the better for a betta. They are extremely challenged by fast changes. It stresses them. In my opinion. It never hurts to take your time! You can leave it in the cup, and add drops from your aquarium into the cup he is in. Once the cup is full, lift him out of the cup and into your aquarium. Do not let an of the water from the cup get into your aquarium. In my opinion.

Hi! Just float the cup as you would a bag but don’t add water into the cup. All you need to do is float it for 20-30 minutes. The other way can sometimes cause more harm than good. Also anyone who sees this please go on the thread that’s called something along the lines of: HELP!! Tetra infection or injury?? Please HELP!! If you couldn’t tell I’m in need of help so please go over there if you know anything about columnaris or about aggressive Bettas.
We need more information about where you want us to look. What title is in the post. I can't find you.

Preston Landolt
The slower acclimation process the better for a betta. They are extremely challenged by fast changes. It stresses them. In my opinion. It never hurts to take your time! You can leave it in the cup, and add drops from your aquarium into the cup he is in. Once the cup is full, lift him out of the cup and into your aquarium. Do not let an of the water from the cup get into your aquarium. In my opinion.
It’s always good to be safe and not let water into your aquarium, but it’s honestly a lot more important in community tanks when you put more than one species from more than one tank.

BettaNovice101
If the betta came from a pet shop and is in a little cup, or came from a community tank from a pet shop, you don't want those bacteria growing in the cup, to enter your tank, right?

Preston Landolt
If the betta came from a pet shop and is in a little cup, or came from a community tank from a pet shop, you don't want those bacteria growing in the cup, to enter your tank, right?

Absolutely, your best option is not to let the water in your tank, I just think it’s a lot more important when introducing many fish from more than one tank because places like petsmart and petco have all tanks running on one system. Betta cups are separate so it’s not of big of a risk.

Just use a net

gabby98
I started off with my Betta in a tiny tank (less than 1gal) and felt he needed more room to swim, so I upgraded to a 10gal.

The first thing I did was set up the tank.
1) filter and decorations
2) water heater and thermometer
3) water conditioner and “stability” drops

MAKE SURE THE TEMPERATURE IS RIGHT.
Putting a Betta in drastically cooler/warmer water can really shock him.

Before I transferred my Betta, I waited until the thermometer consistently read about 80°

Once all the setup was ready, I did transfer him into a bag and let him float in the water for 30mins to an hour. After that, I opened the bag and let the water from the tank enter the bag, and after a few minutes fully released the Betta into the tank.

If you do decide to float using a bag, you just want to be careful that it isn’t too long, because Bettas use their lungs to breath air & a tied bag can hinder this.

Once my Betta was out of the bag, he was happy as can be. His energy level increased dramatically, he started eating MUCH more and interacting with the aquarium.

I think the constant, warm temperature made a HUGEEE difference. So I would say for sure, make sure his water temp is right before you do anything.

That’s my two cents

MyFishAddiction
I got a betta in a bowl from my brother who was moving. He told me he'd bring me his betta, and I assumed he ment with his 5 gallon tank. But he showed up, and handed me a betta in a 1/2 gallon bowl. Now that his 10 gallon tank that I set up is ready, I'm going to begin acclimating. But, no cup I have will fit in to remove water, and a siphon definitely won't work. How do I go about this?

kallililly1973
Pour it in a twist tie bag like the pet stores use and add a little of your water every 5-10 minutes for a half hour or so and then pour the water in a bucket and put the fish in the tank…. Unless your brother lives close enough where the water is from the same source and if that’s the case I would just pour everything into its new tank/home

MyFishAddiction
OK, I will try that. He lives about an hour away, I don't think the source water would be the same.

kallililly1973
OK, I will try that. He lives about an hour away, I don't think the source water would be the same.
Yes probably not. Just acclimate like your bringing it home from the pet store n it should work fine

OxymocanthusLongstrinosus
test ph. make sure they are same temp then just add them in. if ph is higher than the water the fish is in you can add it in without acclimation if its lower then it you have to do a bit of acclimating

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
chickadee
  • Question
Replies
Views
Cawafuoshi
Replies
Views
TwoHedWlf
Replies