How to acclimate a betta

Lucy
How do you properly acclimate a betta from a cup? (can't float a cup like bag)
I know this has been addressed, but I can't seem to find it anywhere.

I will have tons of questions in the next few days, so please bear with me.
Thank you

COBettaCouple
We float the cup and acclimate them the same as we would with a bag.

capekate
Most cups have air holes in them, and I never use the cup for acclimating a betta. I just take him out and use a bag of tank water mixed with the water from the cup. I'd be afraid of getting that dirty cup water in the tank if I floated the cup...

~ kate

LuvaBetta
I use the cup, too. It floats a bit askew, but it floats!

Lucy
Thank you so much for your quick replies.

I wiped down the cup and attached it to the side of the bowl with a clothes pin...worked like charm.

My husband surprised me with a pretty betta girl I had my eye on. The bowl is temporary, her tank is still cycling.

chickadee
Lucy I just did a double take. Is that your cat sitting INSIDE your aquarium in your avatar? Is it a territorial thing? heehehehehehehe

Rose

Lucy
Lucy I just did a double take. Is that your cat sitting INSIDE your aquarium in your avatar? Is it a territorial thing? heehehehehehehe

Rose

;D haha, yes, he was an ornery thing, I loved him to pieces. He passed in the spring from an asthma attack, he was only 5.

COBettaCouple
How is your new Betta girl doing?

Lucy
She's terrific, thanks for asking. She came with some fin damage, and I will follow the advice you have given me in another post. She eating well....I think she'd eat constantly if I let her! She's exploring the whole tank and comes to the front of the tank to greet us.
My husband proclaimed her the smartest fish he's ever seen.
He stands in front of the tank wiggling his finger saying 'hello fishy fishy fishy' all the while Prisilla flutters her cute fins, what a flirt!

COBettaCouple
LOL.. She's a cutie alright and smart. They would gladly eat until they couldn't move, their instincts of "eat all you can" kick in when food's around. She's showing that she's happy when he does that, they love being talked to so much! ;D

She's terrific, thanks for asking. She came with some fin damage, and I will follow the advice you have given me in another post. She eating well....I think she'd eat constantly if I let her! She's exploring the whole tank and comes to the front of the tank to greet us.
My husband proclaimed her the smartest fish he's ever seen.
He stands in front of the tank wiggling his finger saying 'hello fishy fishy fishy' all the while Prisilla flutters her cute fins, what a flirt!

chickadee
She sounds like a darling and like she has you both just where she wants you. (wrapped solidly about her little fins ) But we all have that problem and it is glorious.

Now for the serious talk. One of the betta owners greatest responsibilities is to keep the betta from overeating and becoming constipated or having tummy trouble so you will have to save her from herself and control her appetite a bit or she will have major tummy issues and they can be very serious. It would be very good to get her started getting used to "pea treats". These are very easy to do and most bettas LOVE their peas once you get them to try them the first time. You need frozen peas from the grocery store and you will only need to fix one at a time as she will only eat a piece the size of her little eye. You need to defrost it in the microwave for about 20 seconds or in a cup of warm (not hot) water just until thawed with the skin on it. Then remove it and take the outer skin off and take one of the halves of the inner part of the pea and cut a tiny little piece about the size of her little eye and then chop that little piece in about 3 or 4 little tiny pieces and try to get her to eat them off your finger or a small plastic spoon (a clean finger works the best for me but some people do not like to get their fingers in the water) You cannot use this as a meal but as a snack not at meal time. It will keep her little tummy cleaned out and her very regular in her poo habits if you do this a couple times a week. She may have to be fasted for a day (hard to do I know but just think of it as doing it for her own good) if she will not accept them at all at first. Usually when they are hungry they will try them and then they do love them. Mine actually get more excited for their pea treats than for their food usually. The only other alternative if you do not want to use pea treats is Freeze Dried Daphnia that comes in a regular food can and she can have as much of that as she wants as it contains natural fiber and will not constipate her. It is also an excellent food for when they are sick and being medicated and is the only food I give my little guys when they are in the hospital tank as their activity level is down and they need the fiber to keep them from getting constipated.

I am so glad she is doing so well. Please do keep us informed of her progress. We love stories. and pictures.

Rose

Lucy
Thank you Rose, I have been reading the posts and planned to introduce her to peas. She is a little thing.
This is what I am feeding her, does it sound ok?

Morning: 2 Pellets
Afternoon: 2 Pellets or a blood worm (not both)
Night: 2 Pellets or a blood worm if she didn't get one in the afternoon (again, not both)

As far as the peas go, is that be in addition to the above? (assuming the above is correct)

chickadee
Yes in addition and not at the same time as any of her meals. She needs to learn that the peas are treats and not meals. They cannot replace food unless she is constipated and food would be bad for her then. The only time peas become a meal is when she is having a tummy trouble. Otherwise, if she is getting 3 small meals now she will have to get 3 small meals and a small pea treat a couple days a week. Like maybe an hour before one of the meals or so. Just so it is not at the same time as she eats her meal as she will be overstuffed and we cannot have that.

She is such a lucky little girl to have you.

Rose

Lucy
Prissy lovessssss peas lol. She ate them right off my finger.
Am I supposeds to give her a whole pea (cut in pieces of course).
That seems like a lot of food for such a little fish.

COBettaCouple
I'd say about 3 pellet-sized pieces of pea per feeding. Even half a pea will give you a Betta with a bloated green belly.

Lucy
Uh oh, oops ok, I gave her 5 or 6 pellet size pieces. I hope I didn't do her harm.

chickadee
Peas will not constipate her but will give her a bit of a tummy ache if she eats too many. She will be okay this one time but she needs to learn to not be a piglet so next time just hold back to the 3 small pieces that her tiny tummy will comfortably hold. Her tummy is the same size as her eye and that should give you an idea of how overstretching can become a problem fast. She will not stop as bettas are little gluttons and will eat as long as the food is offered but then they get things like swimbladder problems and all so she needs a little discipline that is for her own good, but do not beat yourself up. One time is not going to do all the harm.

I am glad that you did not have to force them on her. Most bettas do love their peas if you can get them to eat them and I am so glad you have a little one who will be happy to do it for you. This makes it so much easier and she will be so happy and think this is so much fun and a real treat. This is another reason why I recommended it not be at mealtimes. It makes them believe they are getting really spoiled. I do envy you as a new betta owner. You will have the experience of all the new things that go with getting to know each other and the delight of the new experiences together. It is almost like having a new baby in the house.

Congratulations and have fun with your little one. She does sound like a dear.

Rose

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
OxymocanthusLongstrinosus
Replies
Views
TwoHedWlf
  • Question
Replies
Views
Cawafuoshi