How Tall Should

1. shiv234

shiv234 Well Known Member Member

how tall should an angelfish tank be

2. Katie13

Katie13 Fishlore VIP Member

I believe it's 16 inches bare minimum. Around 18 or more is best though.

3. KaderTheAnt

KaderTheAnt Well Known Member Member

Minimum is 16 inches for a regular finned , 20 for a veil

4. F

Fish-whisper Valued Member Member

I've seen angelfish in an old public aquarium and they were huge, the tank was maybe 10' deep. After that experience I came to the conclusion that general hobbyist tanks are not even close in proper size. The deepest and widest you can fit in your home would be best, even then the angels will be stunted in growth.

5. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

You were probably seeing altum angels if it was a public aquarium, which are a separate species and I believe get taller than the type we have in the hobby, which are Pterophyllum scalare, not altum, which are rarer and very expensive.

6. Katie13

Katie13 Fishlore VIP Member

Just to add a bit more, this is a listing for Altums https://discususa.com/epages/837c2f...a54a4/Products/"Siegrist (Orinoco) P. Altum" If you read the description, it will tell you that Altums can grow to nearly 20".

7. Piaelliott

Piaelliott Well Known Member Member

I totally agree. I went to the Chicago aquarium, the angelfish were really large.
    I know here a 29 gal tank is supposed to be minimum, mention that in a German forum and you will be ripped apart. Nothing under 90 gal is acceptable and angelfish need to be kept in groups since they are social fish

8. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

That's way overdone, in my opinion, and I consider myself conservative as far as stockings go.

9. OP
    OP
    shiv234

shiv234 Well Known Member Member

Well then its a good thing i am not a general hobbtist

10. JesseMoreira06

JesseMoreira06 Well Known Member Member

IMO/IME ,I don't think Anglefish should be housed a 29g most recommend for them. I wouldn't put them in anything smaller then a 40g breeder.

11. KaderTheAnt

KaderTheAnt Well Known Member Member

A 20H is the minimum for a young angelfish (a half dollar sized one) but you should always stick around a fish's max size. A 29 is the minimum for a single/ pair of them with a bare bottom .