How Stocked Is My Tank?

Seasoldier

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Agree with @Initiate your bio-load will be quite small, the plec will produce the most waste but the kuhli's not so much, what kind of filtration do you have running?

Gar2188

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Currently I have a internal filter that's meant for a tank double the size of mine (which puts my mind at ease), but I'd like to run an external at some point.

Seasoldier

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Gar2188 said:
Currently I have a internal filter that's meant for a tank double the size of mine (which puts my mind at ease), but I'd like to run an external at some point.
If you're running a filter that's double capacity then you have no worries, your plec & kuhlis will be fine, the only thing you'll need to keep an eye on is the size of the plec against the footprint of your tank to ensure it has enough room to move freely & happily.

aquatickeeper

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
It's overstocked, IMO. A 25 gallon is 24" long (this is according to my research; correct me if I'm wrong) and that's too small for a BN pleco. You also have other stocking issues if you'd like to discuss it.

Gar2188

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
aquatickeeper said:
It's overstocked, IMO. A 25 gallon is 24" long (this is according to my research; correct me if I'm wrong) and that's too small for a BN pleco. You also have other stocking issues if you'd like to discuss it.
It's 30 inches. What stocking issues do I have?

aquatickeeper

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
If it's 30 inches, then your BN pleco should be fine in there. Stocking issue is that, it's not a good idea to have 3 kuhli loaches. Kuhli loaches love to be in groups of their own species, so I recommend upping the kuhli loach numbers to 6.

Gar2188

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
aquatickeeper said:
If it's 30 inches, then your BN pleco should be fine in there. Stocking issue is that, it's not a good idea to have 3 kuhli loaches. Kuhli loaches love to be in groups of their own species, so I recommend upping the kuhli loach numbers to 6.
Hmm, I read before that 3 is fine but I'll probably get a few more then.

MissRuthless

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
You've got some room for mid-top dwellers, but I would not add anything else to the bottom level other than adding more kuhlis so they'll be happier. It gets crowded down there. I don't know about yours, but I had a couple BNs awhile back and they did well for a long time, but eventually became territorial over their caves and chilling spots.

Gar2188

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
MissRuthless said:
You've got some room for mid-top dwellers, but I would not add anything else to the bottom level other than adding more kuhlis so they'll be happier. It gets crowded down there. I don't know about yours, but I had a couple BNs awhile back and they did well for a long time, but eventually became territorial over their caves and chilling spots.
I did hear about that issue but I only have the one bn so I don't think it'll be an issue.

MissRuthless

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I didn't mean just to each other... I mean it started that way, but then they kinda teamed up to hold down prime real estate inside the biggest lava rock and freak out on anyone who came close. It was very subtle, and took a lot of sitting staring at the tank to notice. Lots of people keep them in all sorts of arrangements and they do great, especially singly. I'm definitely not saying yours won't do well, I think he'll do just fine as long as you give him proper care, and maybe even if you don't. What I said was that you really don't have any more room for bottom dwellers other than upping your shoal of kuhlis.

Gar2188

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
MissRuthless said:
I didn't mean just to each other... I mean it started that way, but then they kinda teamed up to hold down prime real estate inside the biggest lava rock and freak out on anyone who came close. It was very subtle, and took a lot of sitting staring at the tank to notice. Lots of people keep them in all sorts of arrangements and they do great, especially singly. I'm definitely not saying yours won't do well, I think he'll do just fine as long as you give him proper care, and maybe even if you don't. What I said was that you really don't have any more room for bottom dwellers other than upping your shoal of kuhlis.
I'll make sure to keep an eye on my bn in that case. I don't have any intentions of stocking any more bottom dwellers anyways (other than more loaches).

MissRuthless

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Like I said I'm sure he'll be fine - just something to keep in mind as far as making sure he doesn't feel too crowded down there

AquaticJ

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
How tall is the tank? Unless it's like some kind of custom/odd ball tank, a 25 gallon should be 24 inches.

aussieJJDude

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
IMO, BN with 6-8 kuhlis and a group of 8 embers will be fine. If you can, upgrading the filter to a hob or a canister it will help with water quality along with live plants.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom