How Squirt got his name..

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by lyndra, Apr 17, 2010.

1. lyndraValued MemberMember

Today I finally got around to swapping tanks over - Squirt moved into the tank in the living area and Firesong moved into Squirts' old tank in my bedroom where he can get a little more peace and quiet.

during the change over both fish were placed in their own holding bowls (they have their own colour coded container with a lid - I drilled holes in the lid for air- these are mostly used when I'm moving plants around or when I'm doing a wc on Squirt's tank because he gets stressed if I leave him in the tank) and I breifly thought I'd place them next to each other and get a photo as a size comparison.

They were so surprised to see each other neither of them actually flared fully!! They just looked at each other for a bit.

I had to move Squirt away quickly because he stresses very easily and I did not want to upset him so I only got a couple of photos.

585.jpg

587.jpg

2. MeenuFishlore VIPMember

great pics. Firesong and Squirt are beautiful

3. FurallicahWell Known MemberMember

Agreed....very lovely bettas you have there!

4. Red1313Fishlore VIPMember

Pretty boys :D

5. lyndraValued MemberMember

Thanks everyone!!

I'm still wowed at how teeny and tiny Squirt still is.. he's about 5 -6 months old now and it still much much smaller then Firesong - they are about even in the second picture so it's not a trick of the camera.. my half moon is much much smaller then my crowntail!!

6. AquaristFishlore LegendMember

Hello Lyndra,

You have some beautiful Bettas! Thanks for sharing.

Ken

7. peacemaker92Well Known MemberMember

Aw.. Very cute! :D Thanks for sharing!

8. TigerfishyWell Known MemberMember

Lol, looky at the little guy against a regular sized betta!! I never realised quite how small you meant, thanks for showing us!

9. uprightandlockedWell Known MemberMember

ROFL today is not my day. First I thought Critter was holding her camera upside down and now I read this thread and thought "She never told us how he got his name. Did I miss that story?"

I GET IT NOW!! He's a little guy! Cute thing. I'm surprised he doesn't have small-dog complex and flare wildly at other bettas ;)

10. lyndraValued MemberMember

I wasn't very clear was I LOL!!!

He is teeeeeeny!

He does have small dog complex!! you should see prance about the tank showing off to whoever will watch him - and he shows his bloodworms who si boss before attacking them - he flares at people but wimped out when he saw Firesong - who oddly enough didn't flare either - even though he flares at me everytime I walk into my room!! In fact I heard noise in my room last night and turned the light on to find my cat with nose to nose with a flaring betts through the glass - she was investigating the tank and Firesong was defending his patch.

I think the shape of the holding bowls may have distorted their veiw of each other which is why they didn't flare- or it could be that they were only next to each other for about a minute before they were moved apart.

11. lyndraValued MemberMember

tehe, I just saw a photo from the breeder who I got Squirt from .. she was showing off some of her males and it included a photo of what I believe is Squirt's sire... Top right in the photo.. there's hope for the little sprat yet - here's hoping he grows up to be like his Daddy - I am starting to wonder if I should be concerned about how small he is - he's five months old now - what is the best way to ensure that he grows up the best he can? I've never had to deal with a young fish before.

665.jpg

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice