How Squirt got his name..

Status
Not open for further replies.

lyndra

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Today I finally got around to swapping tanks over - Squirt moved into the tank in the living area and Firesong moved into Squirts' old tank in my bedroom where he can get a little more peace and quiet.

during the change over both fish were placed in their own holding bowls (they have their own colour coded container with a lid - I drilled holes in the lid for air- these are mostly used when I'm moving plants around or when I'm doing a wc on Squirt's tank because he gets stressed if I leave him in the tank) and I breifly thought I'd place them next to each other and get a photo as a size comparison.

They were so surprised to see each other neither of them actually flared fully!! They just looked at each other for a bit.

I had to move Squirt away quickly because he stresses very easily and I did not want to upset him so I only got a couple of photos.

585.jpg

587.jpg

OP
lyndra

lyndra

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Thanks everyone!!

I'm still wowed at how teeny and tiny Squirt still is.. he's about 5 -6 months old now and it still much much smaller then Firesong - they are about even in the second picture so it's not a trick of the camera.. my half moon is much much smaller then my crowntail!!

uprightandlocked

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
ROFL today is not my day. First I thought Critter was holding her camera upside down and now I read this thread and thought "She never told us how he got his name. Did I miss that story?"

I GET IT NOW!! He's a little guy! Cute thing. I'm surprised he doesn't have small-dog complex and flare wildly at other bettas

OP
lyndra

lyndra

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I wasn't very clear was I LOL!!!

He is teeeeeeny!

He does have small dog complex!! you should see prance about the tank showing off to whoever will watch him - and he shows his bloodworms who si boss before attacking them - he flares at people but wimped out when he saw Firesong - who oddly enough didn't flare either - even though he flares at me everytime I walk into my room!! In fact I heard noise in my room last night and turned the light on to find my cat with nose to nose with a flaring betts through the glass - she was investigating the tank and Firesong was defending his patch.

I think the shape of the holding bowls may have distorted their veiw of each other which is why they didn't flare- or it could be that they were only next to each other for about a minute before they were moved apart.

OP
lyndra

lyndra

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
tehe, I just saw a photo from the breeder who I got Squirt from .. she was showing off some of her males and it included a photo of what I believe is Squirt's sire... Top right in the photo.. there's hope for the little sprat yet - here's hoping he grows up to be like his Daddy - I am starting to wonder if I should be concerned about how small he is - he's five months old now - what is the best way to ensure that he grows up the best he can? I've never had to deal with a young fish before.

665.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Water Change Frequency?

• Daily

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Weekly

Votes: 46 65.7%
  • Every Two Weeks

Votes: 10 14.3%
  • Monthly

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • As Needed (from test kit results or based on knowing your tank)

Votes: 13 18.6%

Top Bottom