20 Gallon Tank How Soon

bolivianbaby
How soon can convict fry be taken from the parents?

Karma ate her babies when they were about a week old, maybe a day or two older. If she does it again, her new name will be KD-Karma Dingo, BUT I'd like to keep the fry to feed my JD's and my jewel cichlids.

Tony G.
hmmm I don't know, but I would remove them as soon as theyre free swimming

iloveengl
bolivianbaby said:
If she does it again, her new name will be KD-Karma Dingo
I'm sorry bb. I have no advice for you, I just seriously loved your references here.

I'm gonna guess Tony's right, though. But, really, no clue.

Shawnie
once they are all free swimming, id turkey baste them or better yet, let them spawn in the fry tank and remove mom and dad at free swimming stage

bolivianbaby
Shawnie said:
once they are all free swimming, id turkey baste them or better yet, let them spawn in the fry tank and remove mom and dad at free swimming stage

Ooh, I like that idea... that would be much easier than the catching of the fry;D

aspects
siphoning out the fry is a relatively easy task. I have had to do this many times with my guapotes.
as soon as they are free swimming, suck them out with a hose, like you would during a WC, and put the other end of the tube into their new tank. . by leaving the parents undisturbed, they are more likely to breed again soon. probably very soon with convicts.

bolivianbaby
aspects said:
siphoning out the fry is a relatively easy task. I have had to do this many times with my guapotes.
as soon as they are free swimming, suck them out with a hose, like you would during a WC, and put the other end of the tube into their new tank. . by leaving the parents undisturbed, they are more likely to breed again soon. probably very soon with convicts.
Them spawning again quickly would work really well for me. I have some other fry that I'm really not wanting to feed because they are a jelly/con cross and I'd like to see what they'll look like as they grow up. I'm not sure if the male will fertilize three sets of eggs from three different females again.

But, I will always handle the nutritional requirements of my fish before the "pretty fish" wants of me.

Cross your fins, guys. We have wigglers from Karma. I'm taking them out as soon as they become free swimming;D

btate617
The easy way is like already mentioned BB, use your siphon during a wc. You could take them all or take half and leave the rest with the pair. The only thing to be careful with is if you take them all sometimes the male will beat on the female as he will want to breed again and it will take her a few weeks to be ready.

Brian

bolivianbaby
btate617 said:
The easy way is like already mentioned BB, use your siphon during a wc. You could take them all or take half and leave the rest with the pair. The only thing to be careful with is if you take them all sometimes the male will beat on the female as he will want to breed again and it will take her a few weeks to be ready.

Brian
I like the idea of only taking half. Of course, since Karma ATE her babies the last time, maybe I oughtta let her get knocked around a bit Sorry, just kidding. I know, not funny:-X

Actually, 1/2 is probably better. This is the 2nd time they've bred in a month, so she probably needs a break IF she doesn't eat her babies. If she does, maybe I'll separate them for a few weeks so she can recover. Of course, she's kind of a diva, so Kahn may need a break, too

Tony G.

sorry brian but I had a mental one with that one.
" What did you do to the children!?!?!"

bolivianbaby
Tony G. said:
sorry brian but I had a mental one with that one.
" What did you do to the children!?!?!"

In my best Karma voice "I ate them, dear. Three feedings a day just wasn't enough for me to keep my girlish figure".;D

Tony G.
haahah Girlish figure?!?! ehem... she don't have one She needs double feedings

Top Bottom