How Soon Should I Feed New Fish

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I was told, when I bought my first fish, to feed them a tiny amount the day I bring them home. But just like 1/3 of the amount that you would normally feed it. And then to feed them just once a day tiny amounts for a week, to not overfeed and avoid leftovers. And then to start feeding them 1 or 2 times a day bigger amounts in the second week. But its just an advice that I gotten. Maybe someone with more experience has different opinion

Thunder_o_b

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I let the fish settle in for a bit. If they are not comfortable they will not eat. Watch how they act. If they seem to be happy with their new home go ahead and feed them.

Lorekeeper

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
With something as voracious as a swordtail, I'd say give them 6-8 hours, and then feed a small amount. If you're feeding flakes, feed just a tiny pinch, to see if they're interested. With pellets, two-three pellets. Etc....

Or you can choose to wait. They aren't going to starve, as they likely ate at the store. If they're out and about, I'd say they'll be ready to eat.

ParrotCichlid

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I don't usually feed new fish for 48 hours after buying them.

This is particularly valid with more skittish fish. Some of them can take weeks to settle into the new tank. If they feed normally after 48 hours then you can move on with regular feeding.

Some people don't realize that most fish can live for weeks without food. So 48 hours is nothing.

Dutch2016

Reaction score
Thank you Katarina, Thunder o b and Lorekeeper for the quick response. Within ten minutes of tank entry they were swimming around. Checking out the new home. I just looked again. They are swimming all around the 55g tank. I will probably feed them later this evening. Thank you again

A couple people responded while I was writing my thank you. I did not mean to ignore ParrorCichlid or SixThreeon. Thank you

Last edited by a moderator:
Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom