How Soon Is She Due? Question

Discussion in 'Guppy' started by Kova, Mar 28, 2019.

1. Kova

KovaNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +14
    Just hoping to get a good idea of when my gal is due so I know when to put my obnoxious male into separation from the girls (they should have all gotten pregnant at about the same time, thus they'd assumably be due at about the same time. She's just the most heavily pregnant). I can see a gravid spot.

Don't mind the bag, I was acclimating a couple new shrimp.

[​IMG]

2. Lana1049

Lana1049Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +59
    Experience:
    3 years
    After my mollies got a as big as that, it took about 4-6 days for them to give birth. It may be different for different fish, but I’d probably estimate somewhere around a week. The best case would be to remove the male now, if you want to make sure it’s before their due date, but I honestly just kept the male in the tank, but that’s imo. :)

3. OP
    OP
    Kova

KovaNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +14
    I would leave him alone, but he's a total brat. I don't want him stressing them out to the point where they refuse to drop their fry and reabsorb them instead. He's not going in a different tank, he'll be going into a breeder box I just got (the inverse of usual because he's the only male in the tank lol)

4. smee82

smee82Fishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +1,873
    Experience:
    2 years
    She got atleast a week left she still hasnt boxed off yet.

5. kallililly1973

kallililly1973Fishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +3,043
    Experience:
    2 years
    do you have a couple other females in there with him that way she won't get as stressed. She will release them when the lights are out soon within a week and then pretty much depending on water quality which looks great aside from knowing parameters should drop a couple litters for you so be prepared when they do come cuz they can release as many at 30 babys

6. Coptapia

CoptapiaWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1,109
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    They can have a lot more than 30. The number of fry is related to the size of the fish. Large females can have over 100. They’ll drop them whenever the fry are ready to be born, day or night.
    I agree she’s probably got about a week to go...

7. OP
    OP
    Kova

KovaNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +14
    I have a few other females, Mustard is just really obnoxious and 'harass-y' with all of them.

The goal is to have at least a handful of babies survive since the goal is to have them as feeders for my axolotl lol.

Thanks for the heads up though! I'll probably put Mustard in Bad Husband Jail on Wednesday

8. SarahMcGee

SarahMcGeeValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +49
    Experience:
    2 years
    If the adults are well feed they usually don't bother the fry much. Try feeding the tank 3 small meals a day if you can this will keep everyone happy and is probably good for pregnant females.

9. OP
    OP
    Kova

KovaNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +14
    I'm not really
    I'm not really worried about the fry, they have a TON of hiding places, but I can definitely up the feeding regimen for the tank to help out the gals! Thanks for the advice!

10. Lana1049

Ratings:
    +59
    Experience:
    3 years
    Okay, that’s a good idea. My male was very calm and stayed away from the girls for the most part. :)

11. OP
    OP
    Kova

KovaNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +14
    I separated him out yesterday morning, and it looks like the fry got dropped overnight since neither of my girls look as fat today as they did, so I'm assuming I'll be seeing little babies peeking out of the plants in a few days when they get big enough to not be eaten! (Hopefully they didn't all get gobbled up)

12. Lana1049

Ratings:
    +59
    Experience:
    3 years
    Sorry for the late reply! Good luck, because fish are better at finding food than I thought, speaking from experience :)