How soon after white spot can I get new loach in my tank

Carriefish

Hi everyone, so the pearlscale fish I bought deaded not even a week in my tank honestly he wasn’t right when I bought him, and left behind a nasty case of white spot. Killed my little loach dyson! And I honestly didn’t think my fancy goldfish we’re going to make it either. Thankfully they pulled through with treatment. I will say a week and a half after treatment and my fish are only now back to themselves. I’m getting my water checked tomorrow and am eager to add a loach or two back to the tank. Also need to add new plants so how soon is to soon to add to the tank, is there a waiting period?

Pattymarner

If you mean ich, you need to treat the tank. If you google treating ich there are recommendations about raising the temp, adding aeration, and aquarium salt. It takes 2 weeks to clear the tank of ich. I have used this method successfully.

MacZ

See your tank as a quarantine tank now. 2-3 weeks at least. If until then nothing has come up, you're through the thick of it.

Definitely buy from a better, safe source next time.

If you mean ich, you need to treat the tank. If you google treating ich there are recommendations about raising the temp, adding aeration, and aquarium salt. It takes 2 weeks to clear the tank of ich. I have used this method successfully.
The OP wants to know when it's safe to add new fish AFTER a successful ich treatment.

Carriefish

Thanks I have treated the tank and it’s been two weeks. I’m just getting my water tested tomorrow as a precaution. I want to add loaches back in tank but I wondering if I should wait a little longer to add anything new. Don’t want to put any more stress on my fish that has survived.

MacZ

Also, get your own testkit. You will not regret that. Much more important than more loaches.

Loaches and goldfish are not the best tankmates btw.

Pattymarner

You should also think about a quarantine tank, because new fish always need to be watched for awhile. You can avoid exposing your established tank to new problems.

Carriefish

See your tank as a quarantine tank now. 2-3 weeks at least. If until then nothing has come up, you're through the thick of it.

Definitely buy from a better, safe source next time.

The OP wants to know when it's safe to add new fish AFTER a successful ich treatment.
Thanks I will wait another 2/3weeks honestly even though they have recovered and finished treatment last week, to me today was the turning point! God don’t I no It i was so upset for my fishes. I knew there was something up with the pearlscale(which I bought in a different shop to my usual one) the minute I took in home. A serious lesson learned. Would it be okay to add new plants tomorrow or will I wait on them also
Thanks Carrie
Also, get your own testkit. You will not regret that. Much more important than more loaches.

Loaches and goldfish are not the best tankmates btw.
I have the sticks but my fish guy has the proper kits more accurate just being cautious as the medications can be hard on the water. I’ve had a hillstream and never a problem between my water pigs and dyson. If the new ones are having problems I can move them to another tank I have a second tank there with nothing in it. Finding it hard to find the right fish for the other tank nothing compares to the ones I have haha

MacZ

Plants are fine. It's an urban legend that you can introduce anything serious with plants. Just rinse them thoroughly.

Very important: If you sense something is wrong, resist the urge to buy a fish. I usually go to a fish store several times before buying a fish there and observe. I even check the employees' knowledge and attitude towards the fish a bit. Tells you a lot usually.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
kattiq
Replies
Views
Roses
Replies
Views
Laurosaur
Replies
Views