How So I Safely Raise My Tanks Ph In Freshwater

Smallfish

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hi & welcome to Fishlore. A ph of 6 is a bit low for some fish but fish will get used to it, it's more important to have a stable ph rather than chasing a perfect one which usually results in ph swings which is far more damaging to the fish. Your blue ram will be right at home in ph6 & it's not too far off for your tetras & guppies either & even the gourami they will all be OK at 6.8 but will acclimate to 6, your snails will be OK even though they prefer water a bit harder but if you add some sort of calcium supplement for them they should be OK. If you do want to raise the ph a bit do it slowly so as not to shock the fish & it's best to use natural stuff like almond leaves, bog wood & peat moss to do it rather than adding chemicals. Slightly off topic but just FYI you may get some aggression between the gourami & the other fish depending on the gourami type (some can be very aggressive) & also if the assassin snail doesn't have another source of food (like pest snails) it will likely attack the nerite when it gets hungry.
Whats a good calcium supplement to add to my tank for my snails. I was thinking of puting old sea shell in my tank ?

Momgoose56

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
What is a good crush coral product to put in my hob filter ? I already have substrate down and wouldnt want to change it out.
Caribsea, Top Fin, Estes Natural...there are tons of brands, just get one that's made to use in aquariums. If you put it in your filter, pack it in a fine mesh bag and place it in the bottom of the filter overflow chamber. Since you won't be rinsing or cleaning it, you don't need it on top. Every 3-4 months take the bag out during routine maintenance and kind of squish and grind the coral around in the bag with your hands. This will redistribute the granules, expose new surface area and grind off any slime or muck that's built up on the coral. Then rinse the bag in treated tap water or in a bucket of drained tank water and replace it in the filter. Quite a bit of beneficial bacteria will grow on it but you don't want all the surfaces smothered by the bacteria or the coral can't react with the acid in the water.

Whats a good calcium supplement to add to my tank for my snails. I was thinking of puting old sea shell in my tank ?
Sea shells are good. Also, if you like 'creating' food for your fish/snails, there are several recipes for "snello" made with gelatin, pureed veggies or baby food, crushed algae and shrimp disks. It does wonders for the snails and fish will munch on it too. Another thing I see people put in their tanks is Cuttle bone. This is a soft bone taken from the spines of Cuttlefish and is sold in the bird section of pet stores. Parrots and parakeets gnaw on it for the calcium and to grind their beaks down. It floats though so needs to be weighted down for several weeks until it becomes saturated. You can do this by drilling a hole in each end and tying ceramic rings or other heavy waterproof weights to it, or by just tying it to a heavy piece of driftwood temporarily.

Momgoose56

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
That being so low was exactly the reason why I asked HOW it was tested / checked. I believe a Kh/Gh test won't give you a Ph.
If you read through his posts, the first one states his pH of 6. I recommended the GH/KH test kit because of the pH AND because of where he lives. Their water is notoriously acidic. I won't go into their domestic water treatment practices but needless to say, they provide acidic, poorly buffered, relatively soft water to their municipal end users. He then tested the GH/KH. I don't know what test kit he used for the pH, it's irrelevant. With a KH that low, the most vulnerable animals in his tank are the snails and Gourami. The easiest, permanent fix is crushed coral.

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If you read through his posts, the first one states his pH of 6. I recommended the GH/KH test kit because of the pH AND because of where he lives. Their water is notoriously acidic. I won't go into their domestic water treatment practices but needless to say, they provide acidic, poorly buffered, relatively soft water to their municipal end users. He then tested the GH/KH. I don't know what test kit he used for the pH, it's irrelevant. With a KH that low, the most vulnerable animals in his tank are the snails and Gourami. The easiest, permanent fix is crushed coral.
Nothing wrong with that advice and I got it, but I was just interested what test was used for Ph. Irrelevant to you but relevant to me (maybe inaccurate strips). This without knowing about the local acidic water. Just anxious but okay, I'll leave it to this.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom