How... Snails??

Discussion in 'Advanced Freshwater Aquarium Topics' started by savnaaaa, Apr 10, 2017.

1. savnaaaa

savnaaaa New Member Member

I set up this 20gallon tank about a month or so ago and I've been letting it run with a filter and doing water changes here and there. I am planning on getting fish to put in there to reproduce. But I noticed the other night that there were 3 snails crawling around in there! I haven't bought any snails nor have had any life besides a plant in this tank! Can someone please help me understand how these little fellas got in here? [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Lchi87

Lchi87 Moderator Moderator Member

The snails probably hitchhiked on that plant. :)

Edit: they're probably of the pest snail variety, like pond snails, ramshorn etc. You can keep them if you want but they can infest a tank very quickly so if you don't want them, get them outta there sooner than later lol.

3. OP
    OP
    savnaaaa

Yes they are infesting it quick! But they are so cute so I'll let them stay lol thank you for the info! Very helpful!

4. Lchi87

Lchi87 Moderator Moderator Member

Lol good luck with them! Most people don't want them in their tanks. Just keep in mind that it is near impossible to get rid of them once there's a ton. I have many many of my own pest snails lol :)

5. OP
    OP
    savnaaaa

I have actually been debating on getting a few for my 75gallon but I guess I won't need to now haha

6. B

Bruxes and Bubbles Well Known Member Member

They look like bladder snails. Pond snails are larger. Here's a visual:

2zzqcmh.jpg

Decreasing feeding (ex. not letting any extra food get to the bottom) will keep their numbers manageable. They're pretty cute, in my opinion. I used to have some in an old 10g, but now only have them in my 1 gallon scud tank.

7. OP
    OP
    savnaaaa

There has been no food source in there so I'm very shocked they showed up! lol and thank you, they look like that except a little lighter in color!

8. B

Bruxes and Bubbles Well Known Member Member

They'll always be there, lol. They don't need much food. In my scud tank that I just give old plants and a flake a week they keep their numbers at 6 exactly. They come in varying shades of brown, and someone on another forum even got some albinos once!

9. OP
    OP
    savnaaaa

Looks like I will start putting little flakes in the filter until I get my fish in there! Thank you for all the information!

10. Nart

Nart Well Known Member Member

I'm glad someone likes hitchhiker snails lol.
    If you are looking at some neat snails in the future, look into nerite snails and mystery snails. They are a lot of fun when I first started.

11. Brizburk

Brizburk Well Known Member Member

I love my little snails!! But I've got a betta who loves to dine on them. I'd say get a type of fish that likes to eat them and you'll have them under control :)

12. ShaneG

ShaneG New Member Member

If you want to keep them under control or they get out of hand then throw an assassin snail or some loaves in there, they love making meals of pest snails.

13. jmaldo

jmaldo Well Known Member Member

Yep! Hitchhikers. I purchased some hornwort about 6 weeks ago. Taking the advice on this forum, I decided to put it in a QT tank first. After a few hours had a half dozen show up on the glass. Picked them out for over a week. Ended up with almost 2 dozen. I am so thankful to this forum. I did end up purchasing 3 nerite and 1 mystery snail.

14. Fashooga

Fashooga Fishlore VIP Member

I remember these dudes. One got in from a few fish and a few days later my wife was telling me the gravel in the tank was moving around. I looked and cursed a little. I turned off the lights, stop feeding the fish for a week and boom, all gone.

Though you don't have fish, maybe turn off the lights to reduce the algae that grows around. That might kill them off.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice