How Small Is Too Small Of A Tank? Question

Discussion in 'Freshwater Invertebrates' started by Rtessy, Apr 22, 2018.

1. RtessyFishlore VIPMember

I'm going to have to move out my two nerites and two rabbit snails for a little while while I dose my tank with fenbendazole. The only thing I have available is a 1.8 gallon bowl, is it possible to move the in there for two weeks or so? How frequently should I do water changes? The rabbits are 1/2-3/4", still very small. I say it's the only container available because it's the only cycled one I have, and I know these guys do not handle ammonia or nitrite

2. CanadianFishFanWell Known MemberMember

cycled bowl? Ok never heard of anyone having a cycled bowl! Can you put a filter, heater and lid on it? If not theres a issue. Honestly a rubber maid container would work better. Has a lid ( make holes in it ), can attach heater if big enough and sometimes filters can be attached.

3. RtessyFishlore VIPMember

The bowl already has a sponge filter and heater, it's cbeen constantly at 78 degrees, and I do have a small lid on it. I didn't know it was that uncommon, lol. I fishless cycled it back in January and had been keeping some ghost shrimp in it, but they weren't very healthy from the start, and I recently lost the last one. I've been keeping it cycled with fish food and an unfortunate pond snail infestation. Will this work, do you think? I have an abubias and some dwarf hairgrass in it as well, those seem to be doing well.

4. -Mak-Fishlore VIPMember

I think it'll work :)

5. CanadianFishFanWell Known MemberMember

well then there you go! That should work great

6. smee82Fishlore VIPMember

It will work fine.

7. RtessyFishlore VIPMember

Great, thank you all! I was just worried about the bioload in a small container, how often do you think I'll need to do water changes? Or should I just monitor the nitrates really closely and make sure there's no ammonia/nitrite spike?

8. CanadianFishFanWell Known MemberMember

My snails are messy! Like once or twice a week id say. %25 water changes.

9. RtessyFishlore VIPMember

Oh, well that's a lot easier than I was expecting. Thanks!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice