How Small Is Too Small Of A Tank?

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I'm going to have to move out my two nerites and two rabbit snails for a little while while I dose my tank with fenbendazole. The only thing I have available is a 1.8 gallon bowl, is it possible to move the in there for two weeks or so? How frequently should I do water changes? The rabbits are 1/2-3/4", still very small. I say it's the only container available because it's the only cycled one I have, and I know these guys do not handle ammonia or nitrite

CanadianFishFan

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
cycled bowl? Ok never heard of anyone having a cycled bowl! Can you put a filter, heater and lid on it? If not theres a issue. Honestly a rubber maid container would work better. Has a lid ( make holes in it ), can attach heater if big enough and sometimes filters can be attached.

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
The bowl already has a sponge filter and heater, it's cbeen constantly at 78 degrees, and I do have a small lid on it. I didn't know it was that uncommon, lol. I fishless cycled it back in January and had been keeping some ghost shrimp in it, but they weren't very healthy from the start, and I recently lost the last one. I've been keeping it cycled with fish food and an unfortunate pond snail infestation. Will this work, do you think? I have an abubias and some dwarf hairgrass in it as well, those seem to be doing well.

CanadianFishFan

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
The bowl already has a sponge filter and heater, it's cbeen constantly at 78 degrees, and I do have a small lid on it. I didn't know it was that uncommon, lol. I fishless cycled it back in January and had been keeping some ghost shrimp in it, but they weren't very healthy from the start, and I recently lost the last one. I've been keeping it cycled with fish food and an unfortunate pond snail infestation. Will this work, do you think? I have an abubias and some dwarf hairgrass in it as well, those seem to be doing well.
well then there you go! That should work great

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Great, thank you all! I was just worried about the bioload in a small container, how often do you think I'll need to do water changes? Or should I just monitor the nitrates really closely and make sure there's no ammonia/nitrite spike?

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Oh, well that's a lot easier than I was expecting. Thanks!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom