How should I treat shell rot (rust spot disease?) in amano shrimp?

RyanC14

One of my amanos seems to have pretty bad shell rot. It looks like a few parts of her exoskeleton has eroded and is almost outlined in brown. I've been trying salt baths for the last few days with seemingly no effect and I'm doing a 75% water change this weekend when I have time. I recently read that levamisole can help but I'm not exactly sure how to treat it. Could I do like levamisole baths in a separate container or should I just treat the whole tank?

richiep

Levamisole is the treatment and is dosed at 1mil for every 7 litres. can you show a photo

RyanC14

Levamisole is the treatment and is dosed at 1mil for every 7 litres. can you show a photo
I'll get a pic later today. She molted last night which seems to have gotten rid of most of the disease. Though there still is a spot where it's still brown where it didn't seem to shed completely. I removed the shed just in case.

richiep

That was good to remove the shell

RyanC14

Here's a picture
You must be registered to see images

richiep

it will be worth treating with Levamisole at least the moult took some away before it broke through to the inside.
also check as many parameters as you can

RyanC14

I don't have gH or kH tests but the pH is 8 and the ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate are 0, 0, <5

H Farnsworth

Specifically what causes this disease? I know levamisole to be completely safe for amano shrimp.

richiep

If your shrimp is injured or Nitraits are high,water perameters not right, or chemicals in the tank, are all part of shrimp getting this disease,
Specifically what causes this disease? I know levamisole to be completely safe for amano shrimp.

H Farnsworth

Any idea what type of organism causes it though?

richiep

As much as I know the chittin starts to break down due to water conditions and once the shell wall breaks through to expose the body a bacterial infection starts which Is the end of the shrimp, early treatment is essential so when the shrimp moults it looses the outer rot leaving the shrimp clear but as in the photo there is still rust spot which will now get to work again so it needs treatment along with water chances

H Farnsworth

Well if indeed its bacterial, levamisole won't help likely. Treating with levamisole won't hurt however and will eliminate several possible pathogens but I need to do some more on bacteria and acetylcholine receptor antagonists (stuff like levamisole). I don't believe bacteria have acetylcholine receptors but maybe .

richiep

Lavamisole is known to cure rust spot,black spot, once the bacteria take hold it's to late anyway this is why Lavamisole is used in thd early stages

H Farnsworth

I’m a big supporter of levamisole, I just always like to make sure it’s the right call. List of susceptible organisms

Roundworms —

Camallanus
Nematodirus / Nematodes
Threadworms
Cooperia
Eustrongylides
Capillaria
Contracaecum
• Stomach worms —

Haemonchus
Ostertagia
Trichostrongylus