How should I stock my 29 gallon tank?

aqdpanda22

Hi, I'm new here. After about a year of going through forums trying to find answers, I decided to just join one and ask my own questions.

So, I currently have a 10 tank with a female Betta and 4 neon tetras. I got a 29 gallon tank recently and I need help with the best way to stock it. It will have a driftwood scape and a fair amount of plants. No matter what, I am definitely moving the 4 neon tetras over and getting at least 6 more to have a school of 10+.

Here are some of my ideas:
1. A bunch of neon tetras; my least favorite but it still would be cool.
2. 10-15 neon tetras and a few male guppies.
3. 10-15 neon tetras and the Betta that I have in the 10 gallon with my existing neons. For this, I would basically just transfer every fish from the 10 gallon to the 29 and then add more neons. Then figure something out with the 10 gallon.
4. Neons, guppies, AND the Betta (is that a really bad idea?)
5. Suggest anything you want as long as it has neons involved.

I'm pretty new to the hobby so I am very clueless as to how much I can stock a 29 gallon tank. I kept the numbers flexible so you can tell me how many of each type of fish will be appropriate for 29 gallons. Any stocking suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks!

wateriswet

I think any of those could work well except #4. The colorful, flowing fins of the guppies will look like a Betta and often cause aggression in Bettas.

Have you considered any bottom dwellers? You could get a small school of pygmy or panda corydoras catfish and they're very cute and peaceful.

I'd recommend going to the pet store and just look at all the fish without buying any. Then come back and ask about compatibility of the ones that catch your eye

Upvote 0

ProudPapa

I'll add my vote to the suggestion by wateriswet. Do your option #3, and add a small school of one of the smaller corys. Pandas would work, and Corydoras hasbrosus is an option, but I'd suggest Corydoras pygmaeus.

Upvote 0

JLAquatics

Welcome to Fishlore!

As always, everyone on Fishlore has great advice in regards to stocking. Having the 10-15 Neons, Betta, and the school of Pygmy Cories would allow you to have good activity on all levels of the 29 gallon, more so if you have a 29 gallon tall. I will add that if you decide to go with Cories, having sand as your substrate will be much better for them health and enrichment wise. They love sifting through sand for leftover food and other edible matter. While I have seen smooth gravel work for them, they truly thrive with a smooth sand substrate so try to use sand if you can.

Upvote 0

aqdpanda22

I think I will go with option 3. A school of neon tetras and the Betta as a centerpiece fish. Regarding the corys, I am not sure how it will work. I will have eco complete planted substrate and I think it will be too big and rough for the corys. And since I forgot to mention, the 29 gallon tank is 30x12x18 inches I believe. Are there any other fish similar to corys that would do better in the substrate I am using or should I just leave the stocking at neons and a Betta?

Not to confuse everyone by talking about another tank but could I do 5-6 male guppies in 10 gallon tank that I am removing my current Betta and neons from? I need to stock it somehow and I don't want to do another Betta right now.

Upvote 0

aqdpanda22

So, I have decided that my new 29 gallon tank will home neon tetras and a female betta that already lives with 4 neons in my 10 gallon. How many neons can I have total in the 29g with the betta without overstocking? I have eco-comlete planted gravel substrate and will also have several java ferns, Amazon swords, and dwarf sagittaria. As well as some large pieces of manzanita wood. I'm using a sponge filter. I will do weekly water changes of 20-25% or as needed based on parameters.

I tried to include as much information about the tank as possible so hopefully I can get a fairly accurate number of how many neons would be safe. Just let me know what a good school size would be for my tank given all the conditions.

Upvote 0

LouPey

I'd say a lot! If it is just a betta and neons you could probably get at least 20 . Assuming you have an okay filter?

Upvote 0

AquAdave

I had 4 neons in a planted 2.5gal and they were happy and i only had to change water 25% 2-3 times a month . so I'd guess at least 20 plus the 4 you have and the betta would be very easy to keep water parameters in check assuming you don't over feed

Upvote 0

Magua

20+ for sure…and they’ll look so cool with a group that big! I have 18 in my 29g (along with a bunch of corys and a dwarf gourami) and they’re awesome when they school!

Upvote 0

aqdpanda22

I've already made multiple posts about how to stock my 29 gallon tank. I thought I was just going to do neon tetras and a Betta but I don't care for that idea anymore. I currently have 8 neon tetras living in the tank. What other fish can I add? I have eco complete planted substrate and two big pieces of manzanita wood. It is heavily planted. And I use a sponge filter. What would be some cool fish I could add to this tank? Preferably ones that are easy to get at a chain pet store since all my local fish stores are not very good. You can recommend just one type of fish you think would be good or you can list several. Anything helps. Thanks!

Upvote 0

ProudPapa

If it was mine I'd probably add a school of Corydoras pygmaeus and a half dozen or so more neons and call it good.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
aqdpanda22
  • Question
Replies
Views
LHAquatics
  • Question
Replies
Views