How should I introduce an unheated fish tank to a heater?

Jayce0

Recently impulse bought a new betta. I know, stupid, definitely should never do that again. I just fell in love with him, he's a small half moon (candy?) koi, yellow with white, black, shiny blue, translucent.. I've always really wanted a koi betta. Being in a rush, I grabbed a 5.5 gallon fish tank kit only to find out that the filter is broken (and would generally be terrible anyways) and it includes no heater.

The heater and filter will arrive Thursday. I had put in tank water from my other fish tank and put it multiple plants and have been doing water changes to make sure the water quality doesn't freak.

The little guy has been swimming around in still water at around 72 degrees, been making sure the heater comes on at night. He seems great, colors not too faded, doesn't seem too stressed. I assume the temperature is similar to how it was in his little cup, so hopefully he's used to it. It's only been 2 days.

But anyway, enough of that. When the heater arrives, would it be fine to just put it in and let it warm up the tank? I don't want to temperature shock him like my other fish (other guy is doing better incase you at least read that post- think he appreciates having his cave house back.) Or should I take him out, let it warm up, then acclimate him back in? I'd really rather not do that as he has barely even settled in.

Spudsssy

If it's only few degrees just turn it on and let tank heat up... Takes time so he won't get shock... You could even just increase temp over two days in increments if you want to do it slower

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Taydee
  • Question
  • BigFish99
  • Heater
Replies
Views
BigManAquatics
  • UnknownGuppyLover