10 Gallon Tank How should I go about cycling this tank

Maryellen

hey guys I just got a 10 gal that I’ve been playing with for a while now. I’ve got a decent enough hard scape going and I’m ready to fill it up with water. On Saturday I changed the substrate in my established 5gal betta tank. The gravel is sitting in a bucket of water now. I figured I could use this to jump start my cycle. I plan on starting my filter up today, and adding the gravel for a few weeks. I dont want to keep the gravel in the 10gal tho. I’m putting some media from my 20gal in the filter as well.
should I still add ammonia and cycle the tank as I would without any media? How long should I leave this substrate in? I have some fish I could put in the tank as well to get more bacteria in it. Im hesitant to do anything because I’ve never tried cycling with other media. I’d appreciate any help. Thanks guys

MasterPython

If you have ammonia and a test kit dose it at least once to see how your bacteria are doing

Maryellen

Is using the gravel even worth it? Will it provide that much of a boost if I’m using filter media from another tank?

BabsandLoon

If you are worried about taking the gravel out but want to use it then just put scoops of it in a new pair of pantyhose. That way when you get ready to take it out it’s easy peasy.

StarGirl

I would add the gravel all at once. It will be good for only so long in the bucket.

mattgirl

If you have well seeded media it is going to do more good than the gravel that came from a tank with just one fish in it and has been sitting in the bucket. There isn't going to be enough bacteria on it to help much if at all. If the 20 gallon is well established and has a normal bio-load for this size tank you can pretty much put media in the filter and add fish right away. As long as you put fewer fish in the 10 gallon than there is in the 20 gallon the media should have enough bacteria on it to handle the bio-load. You will want to keep an eye on the numbers just in case you see ammonia.

Maryellen

Thank you guys so much! I’m so excited to share this tank when it’s all set and going fishlore is really the best.

Maryellen

Slightly off topic of the original post, but i got the tank all set and running tonight with my filter media from my 20gal. I’m so excited with it so far! I just had to share it I got another platy today on an impulse, and he’s in there now quarantining/giving my cycle a slight boost.

mattgirl

Since this is your thread you can go in any direction you choose I love what you are doing with this tank.

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom