How should I feed young red eye tetras?

Tanknewbie

My tank had finished cycling last week so I thought it was finally time to buy fishes.
I went to petco initially thinking to buy three, but the worker said she accidentally grabbed a young one and didn’t want to put it back so she’ll just give it to me.

ANYWAYS, so I have three young adult? And one small toddler looking red eye tetra; the adults are eating my fish flakes just fine but the young one seems to be either shy or can’t fit in and won’t eat it at all neither does it look interested. It instead eats the algae off my plants.. is that okay for them to eat all day? It seems to be a little tired now (he just rests on the gravel or a leaf).

so in summary:
-can young tetra be full by eating algae
-how can I feed it separately without giving stress

Pls help I don’t want to kill it due to my ignorance:(

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    169.4 KB · Views: 34

BigManAquatics

Have you tried grinding the flakes a bit smaller so it can grab some easier?

A201

If you are feeding flake food, grind a flake into tiny fragments. Be a good idea to feed with the light off for a few days.
It's good that the Red Eye fry is nibbling on algae & likely micro organisms.

GlennO

I could be wrong but that long skinny one doesn't look much like a Red Eye.

A201

I think it might be a deformity situation.

Tanknewbie

Have you tried grinding the flakes a bit smaller so it can grab some easier?
Hi, I just did but the small one is still not interested. It had many opportunities to eat a flake or two but just swims away
I could be wrong but that long skinny one doesn't look much like a Red Eye.
Hmm. It looks the same although the skinny adolescent one doesn’t have the red eye like the adults do. Is that normal?
I think it might be a deformity situation.
If so, what should I do about it?

A201

If the noted fish is physically impaired due to deformity, there really isn't much a fishkeeper can do other than euthanize, or try to sustain it's life by sensible feeding & tank maintenance.

GlennO

Hmm. It looks the same although the skinny adolescent one doesn’t have the red eye like the adults do. Is that normal?
Not sure, never seen one without a red eye myself. Can you get a closer clear pic?

Hellfishguy

I don’t think it’s even a tetra. It’s shaped like a Crossocheilus.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Diegovargas0711
  • Question
Replies
Views
Yeoy
  • hulkbuster
  • pH
Replies