How should I feed my scarlet badis

FishOverseer909

So I recently purchased a scarlet badis however I've realized that I dont have any live food but I do have dry bloodworms and daphnia.Will this work if so how should I feed it to them?

ruud

Ive been keeping and breeding dario black tiger for years, which very closely resemble scarlet basis. A shame you didn't realize they really require live foods! Not many fish in the trade are as finicky as dario.

Bloodworms, dead or alive, are not recommended. Frozen daphnia works if you release these in a current and the scarlet is present. Once the daphnia touches ground, the scarlet no longer has interest.

Other frozen food that I have succes with are mysis and white mosquito larvae.

The succes of feeding them also depends on what other fishes you have. I keep the dario in species only tanks. A friend of mine has them with sparkling gouramis who are much less finicky; it seems the dario are triggered by the feeding behaviour of the gouramis, hence offering frozen food is easy.

If I were you I would buy a Hobby Artemia dish, Artemia salt and Artemia eggs which you can store in your fridge for a very long time. Put water, salt and eggs in the dish, and wait a day to offer them excellent food for the next two days. Follow this procedure twice a week and you can feed them 4 days of the week (which is enough).

Complementary, keep em in a very heavily planted setup (which they require anyhow) along with leaves; various cultures of critters, such as copepods may appear over time that are an excellent live source.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
BigManAquatics
Replies
Views
GrayGray4231
  • Question
Replies
Views
smee82