How should I cool my 40 gallon in the summer?

Blabfish

Hi,
I recently got a 40 gallon aquarium and I was wondering how I could cool it during the summer. It has an aqueon versa top and is ~subtropical. It has a hang on back filter. A lot of the chillers are expensive and I'm dubious of some of the chillers and cooling fans on amazon (many of them look too small). Also I've tried things like floating water bottles, but they're inefficient and don't really work for what I need. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Thank you in advance!

Idkitsathrowaway

trust me, they are small but mighty. i mean just look at the size of some of those heater compared to the tank. also it would be better help to know what temp you are looking for and what tmp is in the summer

Upvote 0

MacZ

There are active cooling units that require an extra pump that moves the water through them. They can get you down to 10°C while the air is 40°C. Problem: Unit and pump can cost you a fortune in electric bills.

The fans can lower the temp, depending on the model, to 10°C below room temperature. They work with evaporation, so expect to lose several liters extra per day.

There are a lot of homemade alternatives from frozen waterbottles to constructions with bigger fans...
I actually prefer to do 10% waterchanges in the early morning with cold (~18°C) RO water during the hottest days of the year.

Upvote 0

Idkitsathrowaway

it get over 40c (worst of the summer) and water is not a good conductor of heat, so if you have been to a river creek, or swim in the ocean, than this is the reason the water always feels cold, you should not need a chiller unless it gets REALY bad. I just turn my heater off in the summer when its 43-45c

also keep into account that you will very likely have the air on during those super hot days making the air in your home cooler(or the fans circulate it and the motion decreases the energy that causes heat)

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
bettafeesh21
Replies
Views
Crimson_687
Replies
Views
JettsPapa