How Should I Combine These Ferts I Have?

Discussion in 'Plant Fertilizers' started by King o´ Angelfish, Jun 12, 2018.

1. King o´ Angelfish

King o´ AngelfishWell Known MemberMember

These are the fertilizers I have:
    1. Plant Premium Nature Gro AZOO (8.45 fl. oz.)
    Plant Premium AZOO Nature Gro Liquid Fert.jpg
    Directions For Plant Premium AZOO.jpg

2. Sera Florenette Root Tabs (50 tablets)
    Fertilizing Tablets Sera.jpg
    Directions: 1 tab for every 5 gal every 2 wks.

3. Sera Florena Liquid Fert
    Sera Liquid Fert.jpg
    Sera Liquid Fert Directions.jpg

I have a 40 gal planted tank with mainly Hygro Corymbosa, Ludwigia, and Sagitaria. I have 4 LEDs each 10 watts. The height of the tank is 40 cm.

Please help!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 12, 2018
  2. -Mak-

-Mak-Well Known MemberMember

I would do root tabs under plants that need it, and then dose the Azoo nature grow as directed, regularly. The Sera liquid fert lacks some macronutrients but can be used together with the Azoo, I think, so that working together they can cover most macros and micros.

3. OP
    OP
    King o´ Angelfish

Awesome! Thanks for responding!

So, should I dose the liquid ferts using recomended dosings?Like, since I am using both at the same time, should I do half of one dose requirement, and half of the other? Or should I just do both with the recomended dose.

For example if it says 5ml for every 10 gal and the other says 4 ml for every 10 gal, should I do 2.5ml/10 gal + 2mL/10gal?

Are all my plants heavy root feeders?

How many hours of my lights should I have on? I have 4, 10 watt LEDs. Ive been doing 6-7 hours.

Also, is it always best to remove leaves covered with algae? Or should I wait for the plants to take care of it?

4. -Mak-

I would follow the first one as is, the second one half dose.
    Your plants aren't strictly root feeders (no plants are) but will still use root tabs if available.
    6-7 is good, if after a while you don't have any algae and the plants are growing fast, you can increase it to 8.
    Yes, leaves that are covered in algae are best removed, as long as the top of the plant is putting out healthy new growth :)

5. OP
    OP
    King o´ Angelfish

I will be coming back here if I have more questions. Thanks so much 4 your help!

6. OP
    OP
    King o´ Angelfish

@-Mak- What is the ideal nitrate range for a planted aquarium. The amount enough to feed the plants but not trigger algae?

I do have Thrive, I just wanted to finish up these other ferts before using it. There arent much left in the bottles so I think they will last about 1 month or so. With all this dosing I will be doing, should I do 30% w/c´s or 50% w/c´s?

Also what do I do if the stem of the plant is covered with algae? And if gravel is covered with algae? Should I remove the algae covered algae? Cuz im pretty sure its BBA.

This is the algae prob I currently have:
    Algae prob.jpg
    Algae prob 3.jpgalgae prob 4.jpg

I´ve been doing mroe w/c and the plants are now sprouting new leaves. That encourages me since it seems light they are trying to fight off the algae. My nitrates are between 20-30 rn is that too high still?

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 14, 2018
  7. -Mak-

Nitrate anywhere from 15-40 ppm, nitrate doesn't cause algae, it just helps it.
    I would do 50% Was but no harm if you do 30% every now and then.
    It does look like BBA, brushing on some glutaraldehyde (excel) will get rid of that. Remove leaves that are unhealthy :)

8. OP
    OP
    King o´ Angelfish

I actually dont have excel. I live in Bolivia, no access to that unless one of my relatives from the US brings it to me. Is there another alternative to excel or any product for that matter? maybe DIY?

I will cut off algae affected leaves, but im worried about those stems. I hope algae wont spread from the stems. And if I cut the steams i worry the plant will die since it will require more energy to make new roots. You know more than me so correct me if im wrong :)

I will do 50%.

Also, should I be cleaning the green and brown algae on the back of my tank? its kinda hard to get to. I usually clean front and sides but ignore the back.
    I will do a 50% w/c today, do some heavy trimming on algae leaves, and dose the tank. I will post pictures so you can see the result of the day :)

Should I be cleaning my filters once a month or twice a month? I know its bad to do it wkly. I do it every other wk.

Im hoping you can be my personal trainer or my mentor or something xD
    You are so helpful!
    When I get my tank into good shape with lush plants, im not going to forget your help. Thanks Mak.

9. -Mak-

I don't think you can DIY it, it's a pretty toxic chemical.
    The algae on the glass can be cleaned to prevent spread, though once your plants get growing healthily they'll be able to hold it off on their own.
    Filter cleaning is debatable, I usually just rinse my media off every couple months, but I think ADU aquascaping on youtube has a video talking about how you shouldn't clean your filter.
    Haha! I'm so glad to help, keep us updated :)

10. OP
    OP
    King o´ Angelfish

Ok.
    Got it.
    I run powerhead filters only. Canisters are WAAAY too expensive where I live. I might get a HOB soon. I have 4 powerhead filters, each 150 gph. Total turn-over of 600gph. And the tank is a 40 gal. I thought you should know, incase this changes how often I should be cleaning them, since the media in a powerhead filter isnt that large, but it does create good flow in the tank.
    Will do that! :)
    I will be going to the fish store to buy more plants tomorrow. Should I go ahead and buy lots? Or just a couple and let my plants propogate? I will be getting more Hygrophila Corymbosa, Ludwigia Repens, and Sagittaria Subulata. I will also trade off some fish, maybe for an HOB. What do you think? Should I add an HOB? It will prob be like a 100 gph. I dont like the look of sponge filters, and apart from that my only options for filtration are HOB and powerheads.

11. OP
    OP
    King o´ Angelfish

UPDATE:
    I went to the fish store and I bought:
    - Sun Sun HBL-701 HOB Filter (150 gph)
    - 2 Hygrophila Corymbosa
    -2 Ludwigia Repens

I plan on going back to buy:
    -10 watt LED (one of my LEDs burned out)
    -2 Ghost Shrimp
    -3 Ottos
    -2 to 3 Mystery Snails
    - 1 Twig Catfish
    - More Ludwigia (4-6)

Tank turnover rate is now 750 gph. (almost 19 times the tank volume)

While removing most of the plants to reposition and trim their algae leaves I made a mess of the tank.
    So I did 2 water changes, the first 25% and the second 50% in one day.
    Here were my readings on API Master Test Kit:
    Ammonia: 0 ppm
    Nitrite: 0 ppm
    Nitrate: 5-10 ppm

Then I dosed the tank with the ferts I mentioned earlier and placed 4 root tabs around the tank.

Until I get the LED I plan on puting a 15 watt LED lamp style bulb.

I will get images in here soon.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice