How Should A Glass Aquarium Top Fit?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Amberr567, Apr 23, 2018.

1. Amberr567New MemberMember

Hello! I'm about 90% sure that my new glass hood does not fit my aquarium.

It lays on top of the black part, not on the inside (see pictures).

I'm kind of disappointed, but I'm not sure if it's supposed to fit this way, either? I thought they were supposed to fit inside the lip of the top. It's definitely an upgrade from what I did have, but didn't meet the expectations I had.

Also, if this doesn't fit, how in the world do I get a hood that will fit?
    My tank is a 37 gallon and is 30inches long. I got a 29 inch glass hood. Any suggestions on that?

Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. WobbegongWell Known MemberMember

You could try to make the lid yourself, I have heard greenhouse roofing is pretty good for making a lid.

3. Amberr567New MemberMember

So the lid doesn't fit right?

4. WobbegongWell Known MemberMember

It does not fit perfectly, but it should still work. Just as long as you don't have any large openings and you don't mind it being a bit crooked.

5. Amberr567New MemberMember

I might look into making one then. Thanks!

6. NavyChief20Well Known MemberMember

So to get the exact fit measure the inside dimension (ID) of the tank lip. That will give you the length and width. That is the dimension you want not the length of the tank.

Alternatively you can make a hood from 1x8 wood with some 1x1 or 2x2 corner and mid supports. then you put your glass in the top of that after you spray the wood with plastidip or a nice rustoleum black paint.

7. Amberr567New MemberMember

That's a very interesting idea! I might have to look into doing that

8. NavyChief20Well Known MemberMember

really gives it a custom look

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice