How Sensitive Are Ember Tetras?

Jameseyy
So I'm planning on stocking my current tank with Ember Tetras. I've seen that they are, apparently, relatively sensitive fish. Does anyone have any experience keeping Ember Tetras and can you tell me how sensitive they really are to the water? How sensitive are they to hardness and pH?

david1978
I had them years ago and they seemed relatively hardy. Biggest thing with any fish anymore is finding good stock. I don't think they are suffering like neons to over breeding which is really effecting the quality of fish.

TexasDomer
Hardness and pH shouldn't be issues - they can adapt to a range of pH and hardness. They are more sensitive to water quality, and shouldn't be added to an uncycled tank.

Kajetan
I just started a 10 gallon tank a few months ago and started stocking with ember tetras the only fish in there; I have very hard water high PH and so far so good. I have noticed they need larger groups then other tetras to feel secure, I started with six because it was a newer tank, and all they did is hide I waited 2 weeks got six more now they act completely different swimming all over the tank

WTFish?
I have 4 in my 5 gallon rcs tank, very hard water and high ph, they seem to be doing well. It did take a few weeks for them to quit hiding, I believe they feel secure now. However, I started with 6 and 2 died when I discovered my heater wasn’t keeping it warm enough...they like it near 77-80* or so.

TexasDomer
Ember tetra are fine at a range of temps, though they don't like fluctuations.
Hyphessobrycon amandae – Ember Tetra

Jameseyy
I have an LFS that has really good livestock. I am yet to see a deformed neon, let alone any other fish. They're an excellent supplier

JeffK
I get my ember tetras from the only decent LFS I have (I'd never get them from my Petsmart or Petco), so their water is similar to mine (my pH is 8.1). I've had mine for 16 months or so and they're doing great!

Jameseyy
So it looks like Embers aren't as sensitive as I thought. I guess ill take the leaves out of my tank, do a water change to get my pH back up, and go buy some embers tomorrow!

TexasDomer
You can leave the leaves in - they'll appreciate the microfauna on the leaves and the tannins in the tank. If your pH is high, the leaves usually won't change it very much anyway.

Jameseyy
Well that's even less work then haha

Jameseyy
So today I bought 10 ember tetras, 2 panda platies and 2 tiger platies for my tank. The embers are much bolder than I expected ad haven't spent much time in the plants as I thought they would.

The platies are all males and are currently working out who's the most dominant, although one of the tigers kept going for the embers I think out of confusion, however this has settled down now, and the platies aren't doing as much in terms of working out dominance.

They look great though! I can't wait to add some more fish. I'm thinking possibly some marbled hatchets or some kuhlI loach. What do you guys think?

TexasDomer
What size tank is this?

Jameseyy
20G, I'm planning on adding maybe another 5 or 6 embers as well

TexasDomer
20 gal tall or long?

Jameseyy
long

TexasDomer
What about 8-12x kuhlis?

Jameseyy
I do really like kuhlis, but I'm open to other suggestions if you have any. I was thinking about some Corydoras as they are my favourite genus of fish ever lol

TexasDomer
A species of cory would work! I just said kuhlis because you mentioned wanting them a few posts above

Shellback
My 6 Embers and 3 Panda Corys get along really well. Love watching the Panda Corys scurrying around all over the place. Boy are they ever fast, as you will learn when you try to net them. Both are hardy fish.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• KingJamal2
  • Tetras
Replies
Views
RyanC14
Replies
Views
calmw16
  • Question
10 Gallon Tank Inactive Ember Tetras?
Replies