How Salt Tolerant Are Praecox Rainbows?

Megaanemp

Hello,

I bought some rainbows recently and now the tank I got them for has ick. The store is pretty sure the Ich came in on some new angelfish after I had already brought my rainbows home. However, I’m considering doing a salt treatment on them just in case. How many tbsp of aquarium salt per gallon do you think they could handle?

Deku-Cory

They should tolerate salt without an issue! The dosage for Ich is usually 1 tbsp for every 2 gallons of water. Hope this helps!

Megaanemp

Deku-Cory said:
They should tolerate salt without an issue! The dosage for Ich is usually 1 tbsp for every 2 gallons of water. Hope this helps!
Yes, that’s very helpful thank you. Someone else told me they’d be fine with the salt, but I feel better having another opinion.

GlennO

How long have you had them? Are they flashing or scratching? I'd be reluctant to begin any form of Ich treatment unless you suspect that they have it although some people take a different approach and routinely medicate in QT.

Megaanemp

GlennO said:
How long have you had them? Are they flashing or scratching? I'd be reluctant to begin any form of Ich treatment unless you suspect that they have it although some people take a different approach and routinely medicate in QT.
Typically I don’t medicate with anything in qt, I just give the fish clean water and good food for 3-4 weeks and if they still look healthy I put them in the display tank. I bought these Rainbows 8 days ago, they look really healthy, are colouring up beautifully and have even grown a noticeable amount. I went back to the store yesterday to buy some plants and the tank I got the rainbows from now has ick. It also has new fish, so the Ich could have been from the new arrivals after I brought my fish home. I did a post in the disease forum and got some mixed opinions on whether or not to treat. I am a bit hesitant to cause them unnecessary stress but definitely got freaked out by the Ich. However, considering I don’t medicate and add fish to my tank if they look healthy after a month. Technically if these guys are still doing well in a month they do pass my heal check, so I’m still a bit undecided. If I do treat I think I’ll go with salt since a few people have told me rainbows handle salt quite well.

GlennO

They do handle salt quite well. They also handle heat treatment quite well and since you live in Canada that would be a good option for treating Ich (there are some heat resistant strains in hotter parts of the world). I'm just not sure that you need to do anything. 1 tbsp/2gal is the minimum recommended for Ich but sometimes it needs to go higher. Whatever you do you're altering their environment and subjecting them to some stress. Whilst they should cope fine with it I like to know that it's necessary. That's just my view.

Megaanemp

GlennO said:
They do handle salt quite well. They also handle heat treatment quite well and since you live in Canada that would be a good option for treating Ich (there are some heat resistant strains in hotter parts of the world). I'm just not sure that you need to do anything. 1 tbsp/2gal is the minimum recommended for Ich but sometimes it needs to go higher. Whatever you do you're altering their environment and subjecting them to some stress. Whilst they should cope fine with it I like to know that it's necessary. That's just my view.
Agreed! Maybe I’ll just observe a while longer and see how they do. I think a lot of disease is often dormant in our tanks, but fish are usually strong enough to keep most infections at bay. If I am correct in that I’m hoping I don’t have to treat them. If I do, I think I’ll set up a drip to add 2ish TBSP of aquarium salt a day so that the change isn’t crazy fast. My water is 1-2 degree GH so I definitely want to be careful with any hardness changes.

GlennO

Megaanemp said:
Agreed! Maybe I’ll just observe a while longer and see how they do. I think a lot of disease is often dormant in our tanks, but fish are usually strong enough to keep most infections at bay. If I am correct in that I’m hoping I don’t have to treat them. If I do, I think I’ll set up a drip to add 2ish TBSP of aquarium salt a day so that the change isn’t crazy fast. My water is 1-2 degree GH so I definitely want to be careful with any hardness changes.
I'm not one who believes that Ich is dormant in our tanks. At least not unless the water is very cold. You should be seeing indications of it already but if you see no sign of it after another week I think you're safe. Normal salt (sodium chloride) will not affect GH, you need calcium and magnesium salts to raise GH. Praecox will do better in the long term if you can raise it a bit.

Megaanemp

GlennO said:
I'm not one who believes that Ich is dormant in our tanks. At least not unless the water is very cold. You should be seeing indications of it already but if you see no sign of it after another week I think you're safe. Normal salt (sodium chloride) will not affect GH, you need calcium and magnesium salts to raise GH. Praecox will do better in the long term if you can raise it a bit.
Thanks for sharing. I’ve got a lot more reading to do about ich, it’s confusing especially considering there are so many strains! I’ve been very lucky in that I haven’t had to deal with much disease in fish keeping so far. My plan is to raise the hardness of the water slowly for the rainbows. They were kept in very very soft water at the pet store as well, so I’ll adjust slowly so I don’t shock the plants or the fish. Thanks again for your help

GlennO

No problem, a convenient way to raise it is to add some crushed coral. Or if you want a more immediate and precise method you can use a product like Seachem Equilibrium. Your plants will also benefit.

Megaanemp

GlennO said:
No problem, a convenient way to raise it is to add some crushed coral. Or if you want a more immediate and precise method you can use a product like Seachem Equilibrium. Your plants will also benefit.
I do use some crushed coral, I can’t fit as much as I’d like in my qt tank filter but I’ll add a good bit to the display tank I’m setting up for them. I find that typically that raises the GH to 3-ish and I do have equilibrium that I’ve recently started using to add as well.

Top Bottom