How Raise The Kh

azkarter
HI everyone here is the question how do I raise the Kh? Currenty the Ph is 7.8, Ammonia 0 ppm, Nitrite 0 ppm Nitrate 0 ppm and Kh is 3. The size of the tank is 110 gal community tank. We have Angel, Sord tails, rubber lips plecos, danios, neon tetras. We do use C02 with Milwaukee MC122 controller.

Thanks

Lee

azkarter
HI everyone here is the question how do I raise the Kh? Currenty the Ph is 7.8, Ammonia 0 ppm, Nitrite 0 ppm Nitrate 0 ppm and Kh is 3. The size of the tank is 110 gal community tank. We have Angel, Sord tails, rubber lips plecos, danios, neon tetras. We do use C02 with Milwaukee MC122 controller.

Thanks

Lee
It is a heavy planted tank

Dave125g
You can add some crushed coral. Just put it in a mesh bag and right in the filter.

azkarter
Dave125g thanks for the reply

One other what do you want your Kh at? 3 seems low. After reading about the Kh of 7 or 8 is more common. How high is too high?

Dave125g
There's no right answer there. It depends on the fish your keeping. Weather or not there wild caught, or if your goal is breeding. My KH is 12. With a ph of 8.2. That's too high according to some, but my fish thrive.

If your ph crashes it's probably due to a low KH. At 3 that can happen depending on your water change schedule.

azkarter
Ok thank you Dave125g for the valuable information on this.

Have a great day

Lee

-Mak-
Crushed coral, but if your ph is stable why play with it? You have some soft water fish, which prefer low kh.

azkarter
Thank you Mak. I don't think I will touch it. Ph is stable but it is controlled by the c02 controller. And that is between 6.8 and 7.

Dave125g
Agree the only reason to mess with GH or KH is to stabilize the ph. A stable 6.8-7.0 is perfect.

aniroc
I also have soft water fish, plants and inject CO2. I raise KH using Potassium bicarbonate.
Just like pH, KH (the way we measure it) fluctuates during the day. A KH of 4 degrees is considered ok.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
aniroc
Replies
Views
Flyfisha
Replies
Views
mattgirl
Top Bottom