How quick does flukes kill?

Sarah1230ox

Ok so i keep on about the same thing, but im really scared to treat incase it harms my fish. My fish have been flashing on and off since about a month ago when i.upgraded my tank. No obvious signs of any disease, everyone is still active and have a good appetite. Ive now narrowed it down and can only see it being skin/gill flukes. Flashing, some red gills, and one fish has small.black dots and online it says thats where the flukes would of been? I have fluke solve which is powder form of the ingredients in prazipro.. It says online.it's pretty safe and doesn't harm bacteria in the filter but i.still worry! Am i at real risk of starting to lose fish now?

SM1199

Flukes kill slowly. Although you might think "great, that means I can take my time," I wouldn't... It's almost more dangerous because the changes in your fish can be so gradual that you don't even notice anything is severely wrong before it kills. I lost fish to gill flukes and it was horrible. Very vague symptoms that I ignored until one day an infected fish started acting neurological and I had to euthanize. A few weeks later, another fish found dead with no external signs.

The active ingredient in PraziPro (praziquantel) is one of the safest medications and I would not hesitate to use it if I was in doubt. Even if your fish aren't infected, it is safe enough to use as a preventative.

Upvote 0

Sarah1230ox

Flukes kill slowly. Although you might think "great, that means I can take my time," I wouldn't... It's almost more dangerous because the changes in your fish can be so gradual that you don't even notice anything is severely wrong before it kills. I lost fish to gill flukes and it was horrible. Very vague symptoms that I ignored until one day an infected fish started acting neurological and I had to euthanize. A few weeks later, another fish found dead with no external signs.

The active ingredient in PraziPro (praziquantel) is one of the safest medications and I would not hesitate to use it if I was in doubt. Even if your fish aren't infected, it is safe enough to use as a preventative.
I definitely dont wanna keep putting it off! Just nervous because some fish mainly my two goldies are showing no symptoms. But my male platy and danios are flashing, and one danio has very irritated gills. I can only put it down to flukes but still not 100% sure . this is what i have...can't get prazipro i the UK! And it wont affect my bb?

IMG_20200901_161648.jpg
IMG_20200901_161656.jpg

Upvote 0

SM1199

Praziquantel is only active against parasitic worms, not bacteria, so will not affect your beneficial bacteria at all.

Upvote 0

Sarah1230ox

Gr
Praziquantel is only active against parasitic worms, not bacteria, so will not affect your beneficial bacteria at all.
Great thank you! Is it true the treatment is uncomfortable for the fish? Also It says i should add 1gram of powder to 250ml of water then add 1ml per litre. My tank is '170 litres' but obviously i have sand, and i never fill my tank right up to the top. Not even to the rim, so would i say more like 150 litres?
IMG_20200809_160028_782.jpg

Upvote 0

SM1199

Overdosing a tiny bit definitely won't hurt your fish with this medication so either way it'll be fine. Personally, I would just go with the 170ml treatment to avoid the guessing game. As far as I know, Praziquantel does not make fish uncomfortable at all. The only dewormer I've heard of being slightly uncomfortable is levamisole and I have used levamisole with no issues whatsoever.

Upvote 0

Sarah1230ox

Overdosing a tiny bit definitely won't hurt your fish with this medication so either way it'll be fine. Personally, I would just go with the 170ml treatment to avoid the guessing game. As far as I know, Praziquantel does not make fish uncomfortable at all. The only dewormer I've heard of being slightly uncomfortable is levamisole and I have used levamisole with no issues whatsoever.
Great thank you!! Will do a water Change and then add it tomorrow afternoon!

Upvote 0

Roman96

Just for some insight I've dosed prazipro (contains the same ingredients in your medicine) with fry in the tank and they were fine. Your fish should be good.

Upvote 0

Sarah1230ox

Just for some insight I've dosed prazipro (contains the same ingredients in your medicine) with fry in the tank and they were fine. Your fish should be good.
Thats great! Thank you! I definitely am going to just treat this time! Thanks for replying on the other post too! Ive just been over worrying about using the stuff!

Upvote 0

Jo7984

Hi Sarah1230ox

Sorry to bother you and sorry for commenting on an old post!

I am just wondering the outcome of this ??

I have a platy that has started flashing in past couple of days, no other signs of illness that I can see etc.

Did your medication work for your fish?
I am in the UK too and I'm wondering where you bought it from?

Thanks

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Metone
Replies
Views
Fishstery
Replies
Views
Mandy627