How old were you when you started your first aquarium?

How old were you when you started your first aquarium?

• 12 or younger

Votes: 107 44.4%
  • Teens

Votes: 60 24.9%
  • 20's

Votes: 45 18.7%
  • 30's

Votes: 18 7.5%
  • 40's

Votes: 6 2.5%
  • 50's

Votes: 2 0.8%
  • 60's or older

Votes: 3 1.2%

• Total voters

Mike

Fishlore
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Curious to see what your age was when you started your first aquarium? I'm guessing that most start their first tank in their teens... we shall see when the very scientific fishlore poll results roll in....

Feohw

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I got my first when I was 18. But my family had a tank of goldfish when I was around 8 I think, so I guess that would technically be my first. That tank makes me cringe now.

Crispii

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
My family and I used to keep fish when I was young, probably when I was around the ages of 10-13. Of course, I didn't know a thing about fishkeeping and kept actual koi fish in a 29 gallon thinking it was okay. After I graduated from middle school, I took a hiatus from aquariums. However, the age where I started to take fishkeeping seriously was when I was 17, when I got inspired by watching aquarium videos.

jinjerJOSH22

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
We had a small goldfish tank when I was young but Mom took care of maintenance so I don't count that. I think I had another small tank in my early teens but I really got the bug when I was 24.

StarGirl15

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
We had a tank when I was in Jr high and I really don't remember my parents ever changing water. There was a goldfish and a common pleco in there for a long time. They ended up being around 6-7 inches long each and I think my stepdad put them in our creek out front. So sad. My tanks started in the 90's and I had no idea how to do them. Fish died you went and got more. My current 55 gallon I got about 10 yrs ago and had issues and took it down and went back to my 20 gallon nightmare of Cyano. In May of 2018 I put my 55 back up and joined Fishlore. It has been a MUCH better experienced owning my current "second job my husband calls it" ;)

PascalKrypt

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Not sure how old I was but given that I had it for several years and dismantled it the year before we moved, and we moved when I was 12. Uhh, probably when I was 7 or 8?
Multiple tanks actually, I bred guppies aside from the "main" tank with "fancy fish" like a totally inappropriately housed pleco ("black algae eater"), two black mollies that I thought were egglayers from an aquarium book I had misidentified them in, a school of 6 neons or so and at some point a goldfish as well. Did I mention this tank was 12 gallons?
Yup.
Looking back most (aside from the goldfish) actually lasted bizarrely long. The mollies and neons and pleco lived at least 2-3 years, considering that I "vacation fed" them a fistful of flakes when I went away and wouldn't have known what a cycle was if you had made me drink all the tank water in search of it.

I still have that 12 gallon btw, up and running.

Dennis57

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
My parents always had 2 tanks. When I turned 12 they bought me my 1st 20 gallon long.

Repolie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
My first "aquarium" was when I was probably around 9 and gotten a triop growing kit. It was just a shallow container with some sand in it. :D

RyanC14

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
When I was 9 or 10 my family had a 5 gallon. It still kind of haunts me how badly we cared for those poor fish.

JettsPapa

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
My first was when I was about 19. I didn't have a clue. I got the tank, put a heater and HOB on it, put fish in, and added water to replace what evaporated. Pretty much repeated that about 20 years later.

Fast forward another 20 years to now. I still don't claim to know what I'm doing, but at least I have a clue now.

A201

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
My first tank was Grand Pa's claw foot bath tub located in his dark, damp basement. It contained the minnows we netted out of the creeks for our upcoming fishing trips. I think I was four.
I have to include the XL pickle jars used to keep baby channel catfish & Sunfish. Also starting at four.
I upgraded to a goldfish bowl at seven, then got my first steel framed five gallon tank at age eight.
Kept a tank up & running all the way through college. Not all that common in the jock dorm. Lol.

gandalf1420

Valued Member
Reaction score
5-ish. It was really my dad's but he taught me how to take care of it and I learned a whole lot. I killed a lot of fish but I learned a lot. I was 8 though when we took it down so I couldn't do water changes or anything (we had a 36 bow front that's currently drying a patch over a crack in the corner, there was no way I was going to be able to empty and fill that thing at 4' 6"). Fast-forward 8-ish years, we move and I finally start up again. Managed to kill a couple fish this time around too with an uncycled tank because I was a naive idiot who trusted the big box store. I know better finally lol. A201 you'd better believe I'm going to be that kid when I get to college.

MissPanda

Well Known Member
Reaction score
My first fish i was prob 6 or 7 and it was fish we caught out of the river ..... they died within a day. :facepalm: Then prob around 8ish I had feeder fish, goldfish, danios and bettas at different times. In my teens I had way too many bettas that i was housing them in 2L coke bottles cut in half :oops: I love my mama, but my goodness she was crazy letting us have as many pets as we did. I had gerbils, hamsters, mice, bunnies, budgies, cockatiels, a quail, frogs, lizards, snakes, fish, spiders. These aren't at separate times either. Many of them are overlapping and we used to breed them too. I remember me and my sister each had 6 or 7 budgies each and we took them to get professional photos done. I still have them too, it's so funny.

PascalKrypt

Well Known Member
Reaction score
MissPanda said:
My first fish i was prob 6 or 7 and it was fish we caught out of the river ..... they died within a day. :facepalm: Then prob around 8ish I had feeder fish, goldfish, danios and bettas at different times. In my teens I had way too many bettas that i was housing them in 2L coke bottles cut in half :oops: I love my mama, but my goodness she was crazy letting us have as many pets as we did. I had gerbils, hamsters, mice, bunnies, budgies, cockatiels, a quail, frogs, lizards, snakes, fish, spiders. These aren't at separate times either. Many of them are overlapping and we used to breed them too. I remember me and my sister each had 6 or 7 budgies each and we took them to get professional photos done. I still have them too, it's so funny.
As long as you taking care of them well (as in, actually put in the effort and don't lose interest after a month) then it is rightly so something parents should be encouraging rather than preventing. Having a hobby you are passionate about is really important for bliss later in life, honestly. I don't think enough parents fully realise that and should stop shouting at their kids for taking a genuine interest and investing in a skill that isn't directly school-related.

SeaMonkey06

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I had a couple of goldfish when I was about 5-8 years old, and only got the bug back at about 13! It's crazy to think how LITTLE I actually knew about fishkeeping back then ('m still don't know everything, but hey! You live, you learn)
It's such an awesome, addictive hobby!!

MissPanda

Well Known Member
Reaction score
PascalKrypt said:
As long as you taking care of them well (as in, actually put in the effort and don't lose interest after a month) then it is rightly so something parents should be encouraging rather than preventing. Having a hobby you are passionate about is really important for bliss later in life, honestly. I don't think enough parents fully realise that and should stop shouting at their kids for taking a genuine interest and investing in a skill that isn't directly school-related.
We did, they were well taken care of. However, there was times I would say we abused them unintentionally. Parents need to be vigilant with kids who have pets. One time we wanted to bike ride to pet land so we took our bunnies and put them in our backpacks and went. Poor bunnies were prob traumatized. Just things like that made me extra careful with my daughter and pets in the home because I know kids can be accidently cruel.

FinalFins

Well Known Member
Reaction score
used to keep casual aquariums but not seriously, does a tiger barb in a 1.8 gal count? I got into the hobby seriously in early 2019 so I guess maybe 1.8-1.9 ish years of me involved in aquatic life.

PascalKrypt

Well Known Member
Reaction score
MissPanda said:
We did, they were well taken care of. However, there was times I would say we abused them unintentionally. Parents need to be vigilant with kids who have pets. One time we wanted to bike ride to pet land so we took our bunnies and put them in our backpacks and went. Poor bunnies were prob traumatized. Just things like that made me extra careful with my daughter and pets in the home because I know kids can be accidently cruel.
Yes, in the early years it is definitely something that needs to be supervised. Similar to you I was slightly too young when we got our first family dog to have been left alone with it, we didn't hurt it or anything but just did things like you that were well meant that we did not have the capacity yet to understand were stressing or uncomfortable to an animal. A kid can't really be blamed for it, parents should keep a close eye or just wait a few years more.

Sorg67

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I voted "teens" since that is the technically correct answer. However, I did not continue keeping fish after high school and it has been so long since then that I could have said 50's since my recently established tanks are effectively firstish.

NLindsey921

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
18. Started with a half gallon betta tank. Quickly found out how wrong that was and upgraded.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom