How old were you when you started keeping fish?

How old were you when you started keeping tropical fish?

• 12 or younger

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 13-16

• 17-22

• 23-26

• 27 or older

• Total voters

leafgirl115

Reaction score
I was 3 I think. Me and my sister have always had goldfish. but unfortualtely we never took good care of them. its just in the past 2 years I have become really interested in fish.

Manicivy

Reaction score
I think I started around 12 when I got my own room. I didnt know much, neither did my parents so I spent many years not taking very good care..didnt know about the nitrogen cycle and had many deaths. Although some how by accident I managed to have a bala shark in a 5 gallon for like 5 years with 4 other fish. Then they all got fungus and died. But now I know a lot more and my fish are MUCH happier for it.

Joe G

Reaction score
my fish did not die often in my 30 gallon tank , I has some live plants 2 angels 1 pleco and 2 swords
they did fine. I had no cue eather about cycling. until now.

dano569

Reaction score
probably about 12.I haven't been keeping them since then.I just started back in the past 3 years or so.

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I started when I was about 21 - 22 I'm 24 now - so that hasn't been so long ... but still, I feel like I have learned so much during such a short period of time. Most of the learning can be attributed to this wonderful forum

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I started at 13 when my grandpa died and somebody had to take his fish tanks so I got one. Didn't know much about cycling but didn't kill any fish.

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Okay I will admit to being ancient. I was 55 when I bought my first fish from my cousin for my 56th birthday. It was a Beautiful Blue Betta and of course I made the horrible mistake of putting him in a BETTA BOWL. I took him out of the thing within a week and gave him a 5 gallon tank as I couldn't stand to see him in that tiny thing. I have literally learned everything I know about keeping fish from the wonderful people I have met here and the information they have steered me to. I do love this site.

Rose

SunnShadow

Reaction score
I was 7 when my sister and I got our goldfish. After that, we were addicted. When I was 10, Dad bought me a 10 gallon tank and some guppys. I loved them, but if I had known about Bettas back then, I would have had one of them.

S.

DEADFISH

Reaction score
I was about 7ish.
I always had siamese fighting fish in a ½gallon tank now i'm up to a 10 gallon tank with almost 20 mollies iin it

czarben

Reaction score
I started with a 10G when I was about 22. I've always loved cichlids as my grandma who lived near Chicago bread them and had two houses full of tanks!!!

Lucy_kk

Reaction score
I used to have goldfish in a bowl in my room when I was 5 or 6 then aged 11 I got my first like 7gallon tank with coldwater fish which I kept for years until they got too big and went into my neighbours massive pond, then about 2 months ago I went tropical and it is one of the best investments I have ever made!
I love my tank!
-My parents didnt get it until I got the new light which showed up the smaller fish to perfection and now they understand how beautiful a tank can be!

-But there is always room for more....

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Well, I killed who knows how many Goldfish and a few other fish between the ages of like 6 and 11. :'( When I was I think 13 I decided to keep tropicals, but I actually did a bunch of research and found this site so I know how to keep fish properly now.

jinx_beta

Reaction score
I got my tank 1 day before my 13th B-day, so it could get cycled, and then 2-3 weeks (how am I supposed to remember? ???) I got my first fish! (Orion, who's still going strong!) I'm still 13

lokky.funky

Reaction score
I actually started when I was around 8. One of my neighbours gave away his guppy fries. And I had the chance to have one. I kept it in a 1/2 litre bottle without knowing much about the conditions fishes require. It died soon after.

I still remember those days..

LarryDavid

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I had 2 goldfish at about 6 in a plastic tank - if I could call it that

My first fish though where 2 tiger oscars Balloo an Chico

They lived for about 5 years from when I was 9 to 14

New Threads