Question How old should guppy fry be to put them in the main tank?

Itserikkaaa

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
So I have a 10 gallon with 1 male guppy and 4 female guppies. One of the females had babies exactly a week ago today. I really didn’t even think she was more than a week or so pregnant because she was really small. I bought her pregnant. I only saw about 3 or 4 babies. I saw one get eaten which was really sad. I have a ton of hiding spots but the baby was just swimming freely in the open water!!! but anyways I saved 2 and I have them in a breeder box. I’m trying to cycle another tank right now to put the babies in but that only started a week ago. should I just wait until the other tank is cycled? Or if I do put them into the main tank with the adult fish, how long should I wait? They have definitely gotten bigger but my adult guppies are monsters and bite anything that even remotely moves. So they may not be able to eat the babies but will they get bit? Will it be bad to leave them in the box for a couple of weeks? Thank you!

OP
Itserikkaaa

Itserikkaaa

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
UnknownUser said:
Big enough to not get eaten
yeah that makes sense, but I don’t necessarily know how big that is because my guppies like to nibble on literally everything.

UnknownUser

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
After actually reading the post let me answer better, haha.

They will not get bitten. They will either get swallowed, or not swallowed. They may get bullied, though, if you don’t have enough guppies in the tank to spread out aggression. You can grab a breeder box and hang it on the main tank with them in it until they are big enough to survive or the other tank is cycled. Use some extra media from your main tank to quickly cycle the second tank, if you don’t want them in the main tank.

YellowGuppy

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I've found about a month is a pretty reasonable timeframe for them to get large enough, though it depends a bit on both your feeding schedule (more request feedings helps speed up growth) and temperature (higher temps speed up metabolism). When in doubt, only release a single fry to test things out before you release all of them, just in case. Also, making sure that adults are well fed helps prevent fry loss - if you're starving, you might chase and eat a rabbit, but if you just ate a 4 course meal, you'd never consider it!

OP
Itserikkaaa

Itserikkaaa

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
UnknownUser said:
After actually reading the post let me answer better, haha.

They will not get bitten. They will either get swallowed, or not swallowed. They may get bullied, though, if you don’t have enough guppies in the tank to spread out aggression. You can grab a breeder box and hang it on the main tank with them in it until they are big enough to survive or the other tank is cycled. Use some extra media from your main tank to quickly cycle the second tank, if you don’t want them in the main tank.
Okay thank you!! That is very helpful. My biggest concern was them getting bitten or something. Maybe I’ll just wait a little since there are only two of the babies in the breeder box so they have extra room.

OP
Itserikkaaa

Itserikkaaa

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Willj626 said:
Once they're two weeks old the adults will just ignore the fry if they are well fed.
Thank you!! That’s good to know.

UnknownUser

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Itserikkaaa said:
Okay thank you!! That is very helpful. My biggest concern was them getting bitten or something. Maybe I’ll just wait a little since there are only two of the babies in the breeder box so they have extra room.
Better safe than sorry, I’d say!

OP
Itserikkaaa

Itserikkaaa

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
YellowGuppy said:
I've found about a month is a pretty reasonable timeframe for them to get large enough, though it depends a bit on both your feeding schedule (more request feedings helps speed up growth) and temperature (higher temps speed up metabolism). When in doubt, only release a single fry to test things out before you release all of them, just in case. Also, making sure that adults are well fed helps prevent fry loss - if you're starving, you might chase and eat a rabbit, but if you just ate a 4 course meal, you'd never consider it!
Thank you!!! That makes sense. I don’t want to over feed my adults but I feel like I definitely do and they still are constantly looking for food haha. A month sounds about good. I feed the babies about 5 or 6 times a day, just a little bit. And have the temperature up to about 79. And my adult guppies don’t seem to mind that.

OP
Itserikkaaa

Itserikkaaa

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Dennis57 said:
I usually keep my fry in a net in the same tank, then release them after a month.
Okay! Yeah I think I’ll probably do that. I have them in a floating breeder box in the main tank and I will probably wait about a week.

e_watson09

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Usually 2-3 weeks depending on the parents. Some don't mess with the fry at all others are more jerks. If you have other types of fish in the tank it could be longer but usually a couple weeks is good.

emeraldking

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
With most guppies overhere, I do let the fry be with the adults for most livebearers (so, not all) won't chase nor eat their fry overhere. They're so used to small tank mates that they won't bother them. Neither do wild guppies nor endlers chase or eat their fry.
Overhere a short video of a new guppy set up of mine where both parents are with the fry. These are already a week old fry.

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom