How Old Can A Platy Be To Breed

Carpfisher

Reaction score
1 of my other female platys gave birth around 4 months ago unfortunately she died so i was left with some fry and my female I've got now is starting to hide i was wandering if she could be pregnant this is one of the fry the first picture and second picture is my female
4d4da31917a114d39a278b7092866e5f.jpg
e1f38ba0c210d2d079f0fab9d5d5efa2.jpg
36208d93a69ab87c03f52aa13d58ad45.jpg

RyRyTheAquariumGuy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
They love breeding and can start very young. I can't give an exact age as all platys are different sizes so its tough to gauge age but I've had very small platys have fry.

Carpfisher

Reaction score
Ok thank you were the fry healthy
RyRyTheAquariumGuy said:
They love breeding and can start very young. I can't give an exact age as all platys are different sizes so its tough to gauge age but I've had very small platys have fry.

Junne

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
My MM platy was around 3-4 months old when she had her first set of fry. I know this because she was one of the babies that one of the fry my mama platy had given birth to. Sadly, I only end up with 1 fry each batch ( every few months ) because the adults and other fish eat them.

When they are ready, you will see a black gravid spot underneath their belly and they will be very large ( and hide )
You may even see little eyes poking out ( like my MM platy in this pic - )
BTW - the mama in this pic gave birth the NEXT day!

platy 3-1-17.jpg

Carpfisher

Reaction score
Thank you
Junne said:
My MM platy was around 3-4 months old when she had her first set of fry. I know this because she was one of the babies that one of the fry my mama platy had given birth to. Sadly, I only end up with 1 fry each batch ( every few months ) because the adults and other fish eat them.

When they are ready, you will see a black gravid spot underneath their belly and they will be very large ( and hide )
You may even see little eyes poking out ( like my MM platy in this pic - )

View attachment 434452

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom