How Old are my Swordtail Fry??? 40 Gallon Tank 

Spagarckles

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
HI I found about 30 of these little guys today!!! They are cute little Pineapple swords! I have about 30 they are about 1/2 an inch long?? Were they likely to been born today? Or a few days ago? Also, I don't see any defective or deceased ones so I hope that's a good sign!! I have moved 1/2 to a 1.5 gallon tank, and left the other half to fend on the own. But if anyone can help me out with age that would be great!

ayelie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Welcome to Fishlore.

If they are 1/2 inch long I don't think they were born today. I am sure some of people that are into live breeding will be able to help you more than me. But I would think maybe a week ago. Have you tried an internet search on swordtail breeding and their fry? It might give you the answers you are looking for.

bass master

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
If your swordtail birthed 30 1/2 inch long fry...... That poor mommy.....

My little swords take a few weeks to get that big, my guess is that theyve been living in your tank for quite some time unnoticed and now theyre getting comfortable coming out into the open because they are no longer afraid of getting eaten. Do you have a lot of hiding spaces in your tank?

Spagarckles

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Thanks for the info, I will try and post some pictures tommorow.... I thought I was going to have mutts but most of these little guys have almost perfect pineapple sword features... glowy eyes transluscent bodies and a handsome iridescent stripe

fishyfishyfishy13

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
if your already seeing designs and they are 1/2 inch long they could be almost a month old

fishnob

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
HI There

I currently have 3 different batches of sword fry. The ones that are about 1/2 inch and showing colour are 2 months. I have another batch that are about half the size of those and they are about 3 weeks, some are just starting to show colour. Hope that gives you an idea. If you posts pics I will come back and let you know how old I think they are.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads