How Old Are My Rainbowfish and How Often Should They Be Fed?

Megaanemp

Hello,

I am hoping someone with experience at raising Dwarf Neon Rainbowfish can answer my questions

I picked up 6 young neon dwarf Rainbowfish the other day and I’m having a hard time finding information about their growth rate or how big they should be by a certain age. Mine are all almost exactly 1” and are very narrow bodied.
Does anyone known how old they might be or how long until they reach full size?
I am also wondering if I should feed them more due to their young age? I don’t want to over feed but maybe if I should provide 3 small meals a day instead of 2 considering they have a lot of growing to do?

Thanks for reading through! I am so excited to watch these fish grow and learn more about them.

Freshfishguy

Megaanemp said:
Hello,

I am hoping someone with experience at raising Dwarf Neon Rainbowfish can answer my questions

I picked up 6 young neon dwarf Rainbowfish the other day and I’m having a hard time finding information about their growth rate or how big they should be by a certain age. Mine are all almost exactly 1” and are very narrow bodied.
Does anyone known how old they might be or how long until they reach full size?
I am also wondering if I should feed them more due to their young age? I don’t want to over feed but maybe if I should provide 3 small meals a day instead of 2 considering they have a lot of growing to do?

Thanks for reading through! I am so excited to watch these fish grow and learn more about them.
Can you post a pic? If you think they look really tiny then go for it with the 3 feedings as long as you don’t overfeed in total!

Flyfisha

Hi Megaanemp
I have been lucky enough to raise a few batches of dwarf rainbow (praecox) from my own school.
1 inch or 25 mm is not an acceptable size to take a fish to auction in my country and way smaller than our shops sell any rainbows . If as you say they are still narrow bodied as well you have juveniles to look after.?
They are a species that eats fast and will eat anything small . It’s rumoured that they can choke on large pellets with their small throats. ? I use a pepper grinder for all fish under 4 inches so can’t say if they swallow larger things than they should.
Expect the fish to start spawning at 2 inches. The fry are extremely small and need special small live foods. I doubt you will have a population explosion without trying hard to raise the fry even when they spawn every morning?

My own experience with multiple species tells me age has nothing to do with size. A fish raised in a tank without the humans knowledge will be tiny at 3 months. A fish grow out in green water with multiple feeds of live food per day will be double the size in half the time ( well almost) .

The adults still eat live baby brine. I suggest you add that to their menu? Live cultures are not for everyone but baby brine is one of the easy no smell ones I believe everyone should use. Frozen is an option but not ideal.

If you have a tank you can clean the substrate often and have the time you can literally feed every time you walk past the tank . Changing out water every second day will help them grow faster. ( long story).
They do eat duckweed and frogbit roots when no other food is available. Again it’s not something I have seen but I trust my local club members.

You want a birthday?
About 2- 4 months old.

8A819BD5-C798-4822-BD90-2F7CA6A8A83D.jpeg

Megaanemp

Flyfisha said:
Hi Megaanemp
I have been lucky enough to raise a few batches of dwarf rainbow (praecox) from my own school.
1 inch or 25 mm is not an acceptable size to take a fish to auction in my country and way smaller than our shops sell any rainbows . If as you say they are still narrow bodied as well you have juveniles to look after.?
They are a species that eats fast and will eat anything small . It’s rumoured that they can choke on large pellets with their small throats. ? I use a pepper grinder for all fish under 4 inches so can’t say if they swallow larger things than they should.
Expect the fish to start spawning at 2 inches. The fry are extremely small and need special small live foods. I doubt you will have a population explosion without trying hard to raise the fry even when they spawn every morning?

My own experience with multiple species tells me age has nothing to do with size. A fish raised in a tank without the humans knowledge will be tiny at 3 months. A fish grow out in green water with multiple feeds of live food per day will be double the size in half the time ( well almost) .

The adults still eat live baby brine. I suggest you add that to their menu? Live cultures are not for everyone but baby brine is one of the easy no smell ones I believe everyone should use. Frozen is an option but not ideal.

If you have a tank you can clean the substrate often and have the time you can literally feed every time you walk past the tank . Changing out water every second day will help them grow faster. ( long story).
They do eat duckweed and frogbit roots when no other food is available. Again it’s not something I have seen but I trust my local club members.

You want a birthday?
About 2- 4 months old.

8A819BD5-C798-4822-BD90-2F7CA6A8A83D.jpeg
Thank you so much for the detailed reply! Stores where I live often have tiny and full grown specimen available. These ones where bred locally so I assume the person who raised them fed them well so that they could sell them fast. But obviously without talking to them who knows. I often buy the smallest available of whichever species I want because I think it’s really cool and satisfying helping them grow well, also my qt is only 10 gallons so if I get tiny fish I can usually qt the whole school at once. I don’t have equipment to hatch baby brine but I think I may look into that as I’ve heard it’s pretty easy to build a set up. So far I’ve been feeding one meal of either frozen baby brine or frozen spirulina a day as well as 1 meal of crushed flakes. I’ve been careful to crush up the flakes to be very very tiny. I’ll post a picture of them in their 10 gallon for size reference. So I I’ll add in a third meal in the middle of the day (maybe frozen food for this one too?) and see how they do and if I need to add anymore feedings. I have been raising Bolivian rams for the last 8 months, Ive been religiously doing a significant water change on both their tanks every other day, I know how important fresh water is to help fry grow at a steady pace. I don’t mind doing the same for the rainbows

Flyfisha

A sieve is very helpful. It’s better than coffee papers.
The title says it all.

Megaanemp

Flyfisha said:
A sieve is very helpful. It’s better than coffee papers.
The title says it all.

Great, thanks again

Latest threads

Top Bottom