How Often Will Black Skirt Tetras Breed?

Mickiemas

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Is the black skirt tetra a seasonal breeder or all year round?

chromedome52

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
In aquaria, year round. Conditions are always optimal for breeding, no dry season (unless you leave your tank without water changes for several weeks!).

Mickiemas

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
In aquaria, year round. Conditions are always optimal for breeding, no dry season (unless you leave your tank without water changes for several weeks!).
I'll go for months without water changes and my fishes still breed. I got my black skirts to spawn this morning and I've wanted them to spawn for 2 years now but it was just 2 of them, about 2 weeks ago I got 4 more. And last night I moved them to the breeding tank and when I woke up this morning there they were spawning.

I checked on the eggs in the afternoon and all I could see were white eggs ( unfertilized) u can imagine my disappointment so I went researching on how long b4 they will be ready again.

About 20 mins ago I went and check the tank just to see if any fertilized eggs were anywhere hidden and what did see, a few fry wiggling up and down.

Spyder

Valued Member
Reaction score
Months without water changes?? I’m not sure I ever read about anyone successfully keeping fish like that unless they’re doing a sophisticated “self sustaining eco” kind of tank. I’m jealous as I do them every few days, but I’m also a bit OCD and also can’t handle having a sea world smell in my house (not to say you do, but I notice an odor after just a day or two).

Mickiemas

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Months without water changes?? I’m not sure I ever read about anyone successfully keeping fish like that unless they’re doing a sophisticated “self sustaining eco” kind of tank. I’m jealous as I do them every few days, but I’m also a bit OCD and also can’t handle having a sea world smell in my house (not to say you do, but I notice an odor after just a day or two).
I don't know if I'm just lucky but I'll go 4 months without water change just topping up where the water evaporates so every now and then I'll add 5 or so gallons to my 75 gallon tank. There is no odor. I have 2 filters a HOB and a internal filter. Those filter that tank 6x it's captivity every hour.

And I have a planted grow out tank that I've setup 2 months now and only done 1 water change.

That's my 75 gallon tank. 3 months no water change. I've only lost 1 tiger barb and 1 dwarf gourami from that tank and the gourami was being picked on. And I added a pair of Jewel cichlid which killed the tiger barb. Which I them moved the jewels to a new tank. I've been keeping fish since I was a kid and I know it's good advice to do as regular as possible water change but I've never had bad experiences with not doing regular water changes. I always run my tanks months without changes.

Only since I started breeding these fishes have I started doing more water changes in those tanks with fry.

But like I said maybe not everyone is as lucky as I am so I would never advice anyone on not doing weekly water change or at least every 2 weeks.
FJIMG_20190815_164544.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

chromedome52

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I'll go for months without water changes and my fishes still breed. I got my black skirts to spawn this morning and I've wanted them to spawn for 2 years now but it was just 2 of them, about 2 weeks ago I got 4 more. And last night I moved them to the breeding tank and when I woke up this morning there they were spawning.

I checked on the eggs in the afternoon and all I could see were white eggs ( unfertilized) u can imagine my disappointment so I went researching on how long b4 they will be ready again.

About 20 mins ago I went and check the tank just to see if any fertilized eggs were anywhere hidden and what did see, a few fry wiggling up and down.
Well, you just verified what I told you. They didn't spawn in the old water, but you moved them to a fresh breeding tank and they spawned. That's the rainy season coming in to refresh the waters. The topping off was increasing the TDS of the water, and when you moved them, it was probably greatly reduced, which to them is the sign of the rains coming.

Mickiemas

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Well, you just verified what I told you. They didn't spawn in the old water, but you moved them to a fresh breeding tank and they spawned. That's the rainy season coming in to refresh the waters. The topping off was increasing the TDS of the water, and when you moved them, it was probably greatly reduced, which to them is the sign of the rains coming.
Yea u understand that fresh water will trigger spawning.

Top Bottom