How Often To Wear Down Puffer Teeth?

CrisisQuaid
Hello, I’m thinking about buying a ValentinI Puffer from my local pet store. I know that you have to feed them hard foods to wear down their teeth. I decided to go with HikarI Half Shell Clams to wear down his teeth. I would combine this along with other types of food to make up most of his diet. My question is how often would I have to feed him a clam to make sure his teeth are worn down?

jjohnwm
Just thinking out loud here, as I have no experience with Puffers: might it work to get a piece of coral, or perhaps highly porous lava rock, and smear some sort of gelatinous or semi-liquid food on it, allow to dry, and then use it to feed the Puffer? Sort of like the aquarium version of the dog toys that stimulate chewing and exercise by placing a treat or a dab of peanut butter inside a specially-formed shell.

Jesterrace
CrisisQuaid said:
Hello, I’m thinking about buying a ValentinI Puffer from my local pet store. I know that you have to feed them hard foods to wear down their teeth. I decided to go with HikarI Half Shell Clams to wear down his teeth. I would combine this along with other types of food to make up most of his diet. My question is how often would I have to feed him a clam to make sure his teeth are worn down?
Puffers don't have conventional teeth, it's more like a bird's beak that constantly grows and need to be worn down. First of all though there are some things you need to be aware of for puffers. Puffers are NOT reef safe (so if you have any corals or inverts they will likely devour them) and they can nip the fins of their tank mates and require a minimum of a 30 gallon tank. Not saying, you can't have one, I just want to make sure you are aware of their requirements (as many folks simply go for the cool looking fish without looking at what conditions are best for them).

CrisisQuaid
Jesterrace said:
Puffers don't have conventional teeth, it's more like a bird's beak that constantly grows and need to be worn down. First of all though there are some things you need to be aware of for puffers. Puffers are NOT reef safe (so if you have any corals or inverts they will likely devour them) and they can nip the fins of their tank mates and require a minimum of a 30 gallon tank. Not saying, you can't have one, I just want to make sure you are aware of their requirements (as many folks simply go for the cool looking fish without looking at what conditions are best for them).
Thanks for the advice, I’ve been doing a lot of research on these little guys. Nobody online seems to know how often I need to feed them food to wear down their beaks.

Chakla
I've heard everything from a snail per week to a snail per day. I give mine a snail per day but crush it up first so they for sure get some shell on the bites. I also feed them muscles every other day but scrape out almost all of the meat except a thin layer on the shell so they have to scrape it off with their beak to eat it. After about 10 mins I'll give them the rest of the meat. I also feed shelled on shrimp but not sure how much that helps since the shell is so thin.

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom