Question How often to squeeze out moss balls?

AnglerTheStrangler

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

I was wondering how often Marimo Moss Balls should be taken out and squeezed? I think I heard once a week but not 100%. I think the reason for this is to get rid of any nitrates that might of built up in them? Anybody know more about this?

Dch48

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have had one for a year and a half and have never squeezed it out. It's doing just fine. It only gets moved if the Mystery Snail bulldozes it. The Betta completely ignores it. I paid $2.99 for it on eBay.

jinjerJOSH22

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I didn't know this was a think! Is it important? I've had mine for a while without doing it and they seem healthy.

Nobote

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Once a week, if you have a high current aquarium with lots of flow...you probably could get by with less.

If you dont squeeze them once in awhile they will start to smell of sulphur dioxide.

BlackSkirtTetra

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I didn't know this was a think! Is it important? I've had mine for a while without doing it and they seem healthy.
They’ll do fine without it, it is just better if you can. But you should roll them around. If you don’t they can brown or become misshaped.

rhyan

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have had one for a year and a half and have never squeezed it out. It's doing just fine. It only gets moved if the Mystery Snail bulldozes it. The Betta completely ignores it. I paid $2.99 for it on eBay.
My betta also ignores it like he doesn't have any idea whats that ball is I hope when I got a chance to have a snail they could also bulldoze the moos ball for me :-D sounds like they are having so much fun doing that.

SnowYanez

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hey Everyone,

I was wondering how often Marimo Moss Balls should be taken out and squeezed? I think I heard once a week but not 100%. I think the reason for this is to get rid of any nitrates that might of built up in them? Anybody know more about this?
I rinse mine off once every 1 to two weeks and if they start feeling slightly slimy I gently squeeze them out and roll them to make sure they keep their shape.

Jenay

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hey Everyone,

I have about 15 of the small ones in my betta's tank. Sometimes he plays with them, pushes them all into one place. Other times, he'll use them as a sleeping platform, occasionally he years one up. The MTS have deconstructed a few of them. They seem to enjoy flattening them out.

I remove all of them every couple of months and give them a 3 day "moss" fertilizer bath. It seems to perk them up. They've all grown, despite being mistreated by their non plant friends, but growth is slow. Yes, they can turn brown if they don't get enough light, but I don't really care, personally.

saltwater60

Valued Member
Reaction score
I do t know who often do they get squeezed in the wild? Seems odd to squeeze them. Seems common though. Never had them, never liked them so I never researched them.

Sheldon13

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I never ever squeeze mine out. They are healthy, round and green. I never have water chemistry issues.

shaelyn

Reaction score
I'll squeeze mine out every few water changes, not sure if it's necessary but it also doesn't seem to hurt anything, why not. but moving them around I think is important, they won't get light on the side that stays down otherwise.

Sheldon13

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
These are my balls. The little white specks are just some sand that got on them from rolling around.

Atomicfish

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Marimo balls are cute. Mine moved from the 5 gallon to the 10. I don’t have a betta anymore but I think my other fish like it.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom