How often to replace sponge filter? Question 

Davydite

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Image1575904324.423963.jpg

I recently bought one of these after reading good things about sponge filters . Ive only ever had mechanical filters up to now . My question is it said on the box to replace sponge every six months . Does this seem correct ? I usually only wash my filter out every other month an sv think replacing after six months would be too soon . I would like to hear some opinions with better experience than me on these sponge filters

mattgirl

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The replace every 6 months is just to keep you buying more sponges. They don't have to be replaced until they are literally falling apart.

Deku-Cory

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
As mattgirl said, you don't really replaces these babies until they fall apart. Instead, take them out, remove all the parts, and squeeze them out in a bucket of tank water, just like you would with a kitchen sponge. Then they're good to go. You don't want to do this in tap water, since it will kill all the beneficial bacteria that sets up shop in the sponge.

lilirose

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You should never replace a sponge filter unless it's falling apart (which may take up to a decade). Filter manufacturerrs recommend frequent replacement as they make more money that way.

All of your beneficial bacteria live in that sponge and if you replace it you will have to cycle the tank again, putting your fish at risk. Simply rinse it in dirty tank water when it gets clogged.

chromedome52

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Well, looking at the packaging, it may be a translation issue. I've seen some strange instructions translated on Chinese made equipment.

I usually squeezed my sponges under running lukewarm water about once a month. Having well water coming from the tap, that's not going to kill off any bacteria living in the sponge. Even if it does, I usually kept a few sponges in a well-populated tank for immediate use in fresh setups.

I have sponges that are over a decade old. They tend to die faster in hardwater tanks.

Davydite

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Thanks for all the help everyone . I have the filter running in an established tank just now to speed up the bacteria process . I did think 6 months was a bit weird but glad you guys cleared that up for me

oldsalt777

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hello Dav...

Sponges will last a lot longer than six months. I just squeeze them out once a week in some of the old water and put them back. This is likely the company's way to get you to buy them more often. Don't fall for this.

Old

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom