how often to put veggies in the tank?

myssbehavin

Reaction score
I read somewhere to put cucumber or zucchini in for pleco's and snails. Well my apple snail, ramshorn snail and pleco's will finish a slice of cucumber or zucchini in 6 hours. Is it safe to put this in the tank everyday? Or will too much veggies hurt them?

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It wouldn't hurt them but it will make them lazy and not clean your tank I put veggies in about 1-2 times a week.
Carol

poefox

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I'm curious about that too. I've found that my snail takes about 3 days to eat lettuce and that it doesn't want it unless it is somewhat wilted. The first time I tried it I automatically assumed fresh was best, but the snail ignored it entirely. Lettuce also has that tendency to perk up in water so...

Anyway, Rose advised me to microwave it slightly. The snail later on did take to it but rather slowly.

However, this time I used wilted lettuce I'd left out for a while and the snail went zipping over and munched it right away.

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Freezing zucchini and lettuce bursts the cells that hold water thus making it soft and easier to eat
Carol

ncje

Valued Member
Reaction score
Butterfly said:
Freezing zucchini and lettuce bursts the cells that hold water thus making it soft and easier to eat
Carol
which would be much better than blanching IMO.

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Neither is better just whats most convenient for you. If blanching make sure it has cooled before putting in the tank and if freezing thaw before feeding it to our fishes
Carol

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom