How often to feed Zebra Danio fry?

1. Junne Fishlore Legend Member

I have some 3 + week old Zebra Danio fry and I was wondering "how often" do you need to feed them?

I am assuming they are like any baby fish/cat/dog etc where they need to be fed more frequently than adults.

Right now I have the Hikari First bites fry food. The package doesn't even say how often but just the generic blurb about only feeding them as much as they can eat in 2 minutes, blah blah blah

So how often are you feeding your fry? This is my first experience ( and unexpected ) instance of babies :D and I want to make sure I am doing it right so they grow up healthy.

Thanks in advance!

2. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

I feed my cory fry small amounts 3 times a day, I only use Hikari first bites for the first few days of feeding then move on to bbs.
    You can finely crush whatever you feed the adults & give it to your babies as well

3. Junne Fishlore Legend Member

Thanks. I was using crushed up flakes for the first week and then I just bought the Hikari first bites a few days ago.
    I thought it might be better for them. I started with maybe 25 fry and now I have about 8 that seem to be growing and thriving. :)

What is BBS?????

Thanks for your advice!

4. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Bbs is baby brine shrimp, you can get it dried but it needs a really good soak before using or you can get frozen

5. Junne Fishlore Legend Member

Of course! DOH! The lfs suggested I "grow" some but I decided it was too much for me to try right now. I may use the frozen ones I have because I already feed my fish in the main tank brine shrimp but its seems really large for them now. They are still the size of a large piece of lint with eyeballs :;eye :;eye

You could barely even see them 2 weeks ago.... Both my hubby and son kept saying there wasn't any fish and I was crazy - THATS how small they were! LOL

6. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

I can't be bothered to rase it myself either, I only use it for fry & my Lfs also has what they call 'hatch in the bag' bbs.
    I just take a bag out of the fridge, leave it in a warm place overnight & I have live bbs the next morning

7. Junne Fishlore Legend Member

;:barf;:barf;:barf;:barf;:barf;:barf;:barf;:barf;:barf;:barf;:barf;:barf;:barf

8. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

I take it you don't like the live food idea, or was it because I keep it in my fridge? Lol
    It's in a seperate compartment well away from my food & double wrapped

9. Junne Fishlore Legend Member

I use the frozen and even that creeps me out but the thought of anything LIVE in my fridge, well thats just double ICK factor... LOL

I am getting a bit creeped out because I JUST FINALLY drained the water in my 36 gallon ( after rescuing the last of the fry ) and I am dragging my feed on taking the rocks out and cleaning the tank. LAST I saw, there were little white creepy crawly lint looking things on the glass ( some even got transferred over to the QT tank with the fry ) but I think either the fry are eating them or the MTS snails are... Either way, its ;:barf

10. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

The only live food that creeps me out are tubifex worms, I don't buy those

11. Junne Fishlore Legend Member

I am going to pretend I didn't read that and I am certainly NOT going to look them up to see what they look like since its almost lunch time over here :)

12. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Haha sorry, good idea not to look them up

13. matsungit Well Known Member Member

14. Junne Fishlore Legend Member

15. Jim Well Known Member Member

16. Junne Fishlore Legend Member

That's the same with the Hikari - dust! I dip one end of a set of fish tweezers I have in water and then sprinkle some on it and that seems to be quite a bit.

Yes, I suspect the Zebra females ( I have 3 of them ) have been laying eggs for awhile. I just never got lucky enough to have actual fry :)