How Often To Feed Bichir Beefheart?

Fishbro5

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
How often should I feed my 3 inch Senegal Bichir Beefheart? I really want to boost his growth so I bought the cubes from a local fish store.

nikm128

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Fill a cup/bowl/whatever with hot water and drop a cube into it. Then use a turkey baster to suck it up and put it in the tank as close to the bichir as possible. That should be done at least every other day if not daily, though, why beefheart?

Fishbro5

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I chose Beefheart because it apparently boosts fish growth.

I also heard that it should not be fed every other day/daily because of the high protein and fat that will deteriorate the Bichir's health over time.

nikm128

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I chose Beefheart because it apparently boosts fish growth.
Gotcha, if you want him to grow faster you could have the temp slightly warmer too. Warm temp=higher metabolism=faster growth, but a possibly shorter life. That's up to you
I also heard that it should not be fed every other day/daily because of the high protein and fat that will deteriorate the Bichir's health over time.
I've fed mine black or blood worms every other day, they really do grow slowly at first. Also that's exactly why I prefer worms, less fat, smaller portions

Fishbro5

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Thank You for the advice! I think I will warm up my tank a bit and when you mean they grow really slowly at first, you are referring to the Bichir right? Will the Bichir's growth speed up more as it gets older? I thought it was the opposite?

nikm128

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Yes I'm referring to the bichir, they grow really slow until they hit their growth spurt at around a year old, then after that it levels out again.

NeonRasta

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Beefheart is terrible for fish it has too much fat in it I would recommend feeding frozen blood worms or just raw shrimp from the grocery store if it needs protein

Fishbro5

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Beefheart is terrible for fish it has too much fat in it I would recommend feeding frozen blood worms or just raw shrimp from the grocery store if it needs protein
Alright maybe that will just be a once a month treat, I feed my bichir brine shrimp but it takes him forever to find barely any so is it a good idea to just go with full raw shrimp? I also feed Tilapia and Hikari Carnivore.

nikm128

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Brine shrimp doesn't give a lot of nutrients, frozen or freeze dried blackworms as well as frozen bloodworms would be a much better option. Just my thoughts

NeonRasta

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Alright maybe that will just be a once a month treat, I feed my bichir brine shrimp but it takes him forever to find barely any so is it a good idea to just go with full raw shrimp? I also feed Tilapia and Hikari Carnivore.
I usually take the tails off the raw shrimp and its perfectly safe I actually learned it from the king of DIY on YouTube. I feed my large south American cichlids raw shrimp maybe once a month as a treat and frozen blood worms maybe once a week. I mainly feed different types of pellets and vegetables for my omnivores.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom