how often to feed assassin snail ? Question

Discussion in 'Snails' started by scotty b, Dec 12, 2012.

1. scotty b

scotty b Well Known Member Member

i have gotten 1 assassin snail i have him in a 1 gallon tank i tossed in a mts a apple snail and a ramsorn will this be good to feed him for a bit? it is heavy planted so i cant see in the tank that well , how often do i toss him a new snail/ ?

2. Y

Yeoy Well Known Member Member

I would put a bunch of MTS or Ramshorns in there (if you have them) so he can eat as he wants. As a predatory invert it is better to let him eat when he wants, rather than trying to figure out when. Don't forget photos!

3. OP
    OP
    scotty b

i can get pics of the tank ;p the snail disappeared into the plants

4. Y

Yeoy Well Known Member Member

I have read that they bury themselves to ambush the prey snails. Happy hunting!

5. OP
    OP
    scotty b

lol i guess ill toss a few more ramshorns with him

6. Junne

Junne Fishlore Legend Member

oh no!!! Why did you toss in an apple snail?????

I have my lone Assassin with about 300 MTS snails -
    The Assassin has been stuck on one large mts for about 4 days now. He is funny to watch because he roams the tank, gets close to a bunch of them and then goes under the sand. He waits for one to walk by and then grabs it!!!! It's funny how he goes through all that trouble - its not like these mts are running for their lives! They are easy prey just roaming around..... LOL

7. carolo43

carolo43 Valued Member Member

I had soooo many ramshorn snails in my tank it was just sad. I dropped in about 6 assassins and they had every snail gone in short order. Then I got a new java fern that had trumpet snails in it and away we go again! As great as the assassins did on the ramshorns, they did equally as bad with the trumpets. The trumpets shape and tiny, tiny size are unable to be eaten by the assassins until they get much larger. Just about the time I think the snails are gone again and I don't see them, here they come again out of the substrate to cover the glass in the tank. I really hate them!
    :;swdad

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice