How often to dust Easy Green?

Nianichole

Hi everyone,

I have a new tank with plants I'm trying to grow in. My question is, I feel like I need to dose Easy Green more than once a week because my nitrates are often at zero.

I'm just looking for pointers on balancing my tank. Am I correct on dosing fertilizer when my nitrates are at zero, or is there something else I should be considering/doing?

Thanks!

*Ugh sorry about the autocorrect typo in the title!*

Attachments

• 1619284000062461502767114467977.jpg
    1619284000062461502767114467977.jpg
    173.1 KB · Views: 29

Pfrozen

I wouldn't worry about 0 nitrates unless your plants show deficiencies. 0 nitrates just means that there isn't an excess of nitrates in the system. It doesn't necessarily mean that your plants aren't getting enough.

The two most popular dosing methods, ADA and EI, advocate for excess nitrates because they're made for pressurized CO2 and high lighting. That's a whole different ball game. It confuses people into thinking that you need a measurable excess of everything in order to achieve success.

If you are noticing N deficiencies, then by all means absolutely do up your dosing

Upvote 0

angelfish220

Easy Green's thing is that you are suppose to dose to always have 20 ppm Nitrate. That might be one pump a week, or three pumps a week. They say that it is balanced so that when the Nitrates from the ferts are used the other macros/micros from the fert is used as well. I don't care for that system that much. In my 20 I do one pump twice weekly regardless of Nitrate reading as long as the plants look healthy.

I guess that is to say if you follow their instructions you should dose more. If you want to go rogue, you totally can. Just keep an eye on your plants and stay tuned with the tank.

Upvote 0

Nianichole

I wouldn't worry about 0 nitrates unless your plants show deficiencies. 0 nitrates just means that there isn't an excess of nitrates in the system. It doesn't necessarily mean that your plants aren't getting enough.

The two most popular dosing methods, ADA and EI, advocate for excess nitrates because they're made for pressurized CO2 and high lighting. That's a whole different ball game. It confuses people into thinking that you need a measurable excess of everything in order to achieve success.

If you are noticing N deficiencies, then by all means absolutely do up your dosing

Thanks for that feedback! I do have some leaves looking sad, so I think I'll for extra for now and see what happens.
Easy Green's thing is that you are suppose to dose to always have 20 ppm Nitrate. That might be one pump a week, or three pumps a week. They say that it is balanced so that when the Nitrates from the ferts are used the other macros/micros from the fert is used as well. I don't care for that system that much. In my 20 I do one pump twice weekly regardless of Nitrate reading as long as the plants look healthy.

I guess that is to say if you follow their instructions you should dose more. If you want to go rogue, you totally can. Just keep an eye on your plants and stay tuned with the tank.

Thank you! This is super helpful. I think I'll try the dosing extra method first and if that isn't working I'll try going rogue.

Upvote 0

Pfrozen

If you feel like posting those leaves we can probs help identify the specific issue too

Upvote 0

Nianichole

If you feel like posting those leaves we can probs help identify the specific issue too

Here are some pictures. Thanks for looking!

There is a bit of algae, but there's also debri on some of the leaves from moving my sponge filter out to the quarantine tank. It released a bunch of stuff into the water column when I moved it.

I think it's a bit challenging to decide what's going on because these plants are new and night be adjusting to growing in water, but any insight is appreciated!

Attachments

• IMG_20210425_102636837.jpg
    IMG_20210425_102636837.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_20210425_102648417.jpg
    IMG_20210425_102648417.jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_20210425_102657708.jpg
    IMG_20210425_102657708.jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_20210425_102710691.jpg
    IMG_20210425_102710691.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 18
Upvote 0

Pfrozen

Here are some pictures. Thanks for looking!

There is a bit of algae, but there's also debri on some of the leaves from moving my sponge filter out to the quarantine tank. It released a bunch of stuff into the water column when I moved it.

I think it's a bit challenging to decide what's going on because these plants are new and night be adjusting to growing in water, but any insight is appreciated!

Looks like some trace deficiencies, most likely manganese and magnesium, with a bit of N deficiency as well. So yup, it would be a good idea to dose an extra pump weekly. Based on the guaranteed analysis of Easy Green this should be a perfect solution. Test it out and report back :)

Upvote 0

Nianichole

Looks like some trace deficiencies, most likely manganese and magnesium, with a bit of N deficiency as well. So yup, it would be a good idea to dose an extra pump weekly. Based on the guaranteed analysis of Easy Green this should be a perfect solution. Test it out and report back :)

Awesome, thank you so much for your help! I'll let you know how it goes :)

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Mike1995
Replies
Views
MacZ
  • Question
Replies
Views