Help How Often To Change Water For Ammonia Poisoning?

kado2999

Reaction score
Title says it all. I have 2 goldfishes that are going through Ammonia Burns/Poisoning and both are stressed and in critical condition. Short story, went away for 3 days, came back and both my 2 goldfishes (my only pet fishes) were laying at the bottom of tank and not eating. They have what looks like cuts and bloods around their eyes and gills. Ammonia levels on test kit shows it was at a whopping 4.0. I just did a 80% water change yesterday and tested it today with Ammonia levels at 1.0 now. My question is how often should I change water from here on out and how much? Everyday? Every other day? Partial changes like 20% or 30%? Any tips will help as these 2 are in life threatening conditions.

TheBettaSushi

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Title says it all. I have 2 goldfishes that are going through Ammonia Burns/Poisoning and both are stressed and in critical condition. Short story, went away for 3 days, came back and both my 2 goldfishes (my only pet fishes) were laying at the bottom of tank and not eating. They have what looks like cuts and bloods around their eyes and gills. Ammonia levels on test kit shows it was at a whopping 4.0. I just did a 80% water change yesterday and tested it today with Ammonia levels at 1.0 now. My question is how often should I change water from here on out and how much? Everyday? Every other day? Partial changes like 20% or 30%? Any tips will help as these 2 are in life threatening conditions.
Change your water every day until your ammonia is back to 0 and use seachem prime to detoxify ammonia into ammonium so it’s non-toxic to your fish.

Lynn78too

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I'd do 50% every day. You don't want to shock them by doing too much all at once.

kado2999

Reaction score
Well i checked again today and Ammonia levels actually increased to 2.0. This time i checked the Water that I used and it was not it so something is causing it to spike up. On the side note, 1 of the Goldfish is on it's deathbed right now. It is literally laying on it side at the bottom next to the Airstone breathing away it's few last breaths. I've lowered their pH level from their usual 7.5 to 7.0 so hopefully that would alleviate some stress but I doubt it. Was going to do some water change but think I'll hold off until this one passes away. Last thing it needs right now is a water change. Don't know what's going on but whatever it is killed off all the Nitrites and Nitrates as they both are reading Zero with only ammonia active.

Coptapia

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Nitrite and nitrate aren’t alive, so they can’t be “killed off”. If your test is showing zero nitrate it’s wrong (if you normally have nitrates). Sounds like you’ve killed your bacteria and the filter is cycling again.
Prime will detoxify the ammonia... and the nitrite that it will turn into...

yinoma2001

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Well i checked again today and Ammonia levels actually increased to 2.0. This time i checked the Water that I used and it was not it so something is causing it to spike up. On the side note, 1 of the Goldfish is on it's deathbed right now. It is literally laying on it side at the bottom next to the Airstone breathing away it's few last breaths. I've lowered their pH level from their usual 7.5 to 7.0 so hopefully that would alleviate some stress but I doubt it. Was going to do some water change but think I'll hold off until this one passes away. Last thing it needs right now is a water change. Don't know what's going on but whatever it is killed off all the Nitrites and Nitrates as they both are reading Zero with only ammonia active.
Could it be your tap water supply?

kado2999

Reaction score
Nitrite and nitrate aren’t alive, so they can’t be “killed off”. If your test is showing zero nitrate it’s wrong (if you normally have nitrates). Sounds like you’ve killed your bacteria and the filter is cycling again.
Prime will detoxify the ammonia... and the nitrite that it will turn into...
Yes it feels like a new tank syndrome is happening here. But whatever it is definitely removed the Nitrates and Nitrites. As both are reading Zero.

Could it be your tap water supply?
I just checked it and it came out ok. The tap Water shows 7.5 pH level, 0.25 Ammonia, 0.1 Nitrates, and 0 Nitrites. So it's definitely not the tap unless whatever is in it has something else that's doing it and the test kit can't pick it up but so far it is not bolding well.

Coptapia

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The nitrites went because they turned into nitrates. Nothing else can ‘remove’ them. I’m gonna guess your nitrate test kit is faulty because nitrates can’t just disappear unless the plants have used them all, which isn’t likely if you normally have nitrates.
You need to literally bang the nitrate reagent #2 bottle on the table aswell as shaking it, or it will start giving false readings.

mattgirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I am sorry but I just don't understand this way of thinking. This fish is being poisoned with ammonia and you are concerned about doing water changes to get rid of the ammonia and stressing it? That doesn't make any kind of sense to me. you are just going to wait until it dies before doing a water change? I am totally stumped by this one.

kado2999

Reaction score
I am sorry but I just don't understand this way of thinking. This fish is being poisoned with ammonia and you are concerned about doing water changes to get rid of the ammonia and stressing it? That doesn't make any kind of sense to me. you are just going to wait until it dies before doing a water change? I am totally stumped by this one.
Is there anything else I can do for it? I literally moved the other one into a bowl of fresh tap water from my neighbors and this one dying into a bucket with an airstone in it. I'm not sure what else I can do for these two. I just finished doing the 50% water change and probably going to have to wait a while before I can use the tank again since it is cycling through like a new tank. I've used primers, quickstart's, and pH adjusters. I've did a 50% water change these past 2 days and did a 80% water change when I detected insane ammonia levels. You have any other products or suggestions that can help these two? Because one them is on deaths door and I'm not sure what else I can do for it.

mattgirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Is there anything else I can do for it? I literally moved the other one into a bowl of fresh tap water from my neighbors and this one dying into a bucket with an airstone in it. I'm not sure what else I can do for these two. I just finished doing the 50% water change and probably going to have to wait a while before I can use the tank again since it is cycling through like a new tank. I've used primers, quickstart's, and pH adjusters. I've did a 50% water change these past 2 days and did a 80% water change when I detected insane ammonia levels. You have any other products or suggestions that can help these two? Because one them is on deaths door and I'm not sure what else I can do for it.
Stop using the PH adjusters. Stable is much more important than a specific number. Keep doing water changes until you get the ammonia down as low as possible and if you don't already have it get a bottle of Prime. It will neutralize the low amount of ammonia left after water changes.

the only way to stop ammonia poisoning is to remove the ammonia with water changes even if that means 50% or more twice a day until it stops rising. I would get the ammonia as low as possible and put the fish back in this tank. The ammonia is going to rise much quicker in the bucket you have the fish in now. At least there is more water in the tank to dilute the ammonia so it shouldn't rise as quickly.

I am not normally so blunt and I am sorry I was with you. I truly do hope doing the water changes will save these fish.

Ronniethewitch

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
As long as you are using your water conditioner in the tap water (preferably Prime) then fresh water is all you can do. there is no other treatment for a fish already poisoned. They either work it out or they don't. but they have a better chance if you keep doing the water changes until the ammonia is at 0.

kado2999

Reaction score
OMG I found out the problem. My kids threw in AlgaeFix in there because there was an algae problem occuring while I was away and they went to the store and bought it and threw it in there to keep it under control. They must of thrown in quite a lot as when I asked them all of them wouldn't confess until it got to this point. Well now what do I do? Oh BTW, I put the two fishes back into the tank.

mattgirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I am glad you got to the bottom of what caused the problem. My original advice still stands. Water changes will remove even this product and will keep the ammonia down to safer levels. The safest level is zero of course but if you can keep it below one and add Prime the cycle will grow and hopefully the fish will survive..

It does look like this tank is no longer cycled but it can be regrown. You could add bottled bacteria or just keep doing water changes and let the bacteria grow naturally. The most important thing during a fish in cycle is keeping the ammonia as low as possible.

Water changes alone will also keep your PH right where it needs to be so no need at all to try changing it.

kado2999

Reaction score
Goldfish number 1 has passed away . Goldfish number 2 is still in really bad shape and running around scraping itself against the ornaments and gravel. I'm assuming the water is still itchy to it. Despite all the airing inside the tank it keeps going to the surface of the water to grab air.

Ronniethewitch

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Sorry for your loss. for your other fish still aggravated by the toxin burns why not try the api stress oat? It is meant to soothe.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom