How Often To Change Media? Aquaclear 20 10 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by Snailerator, Jun 30, 2019.

1. Snailerator

SnaileratorValued MemberMember

I have the sponge, a carbon pack, and bio ball cylinders in a mesh bag. How often should I change this stuff. And is there something better to put in the filter? Thanks!

2. richie.p

richie.pFishlore VIPMember

i don't think you'll get any better media than biohome ultimate or seachem matrix, unless you are taking meds or tannings out of the water i'd also get rid of the carbon and replace with media, the good way to test a sponge is squeeze it and if it dos'nt go straight back to its natural shape or sort of sticks together then change. what are the bio balls you mention

3. Mr. Kgnao

Mr. KgnaoValued MemberMember

For things like sponges and 'biomax', I'd only change them if they literally start to fall apart and you can't keep them in the filter anymore. The classic AC set-up of sponge and ceramic rings is a good mix of mechanical and biological filtration. I'd personally ditch the carbon, which will wear out in a few weeks to a few months depending on the circumstances, but I wouldn't bother buying something like crushed pumice, I mean Seachem Matrix, to replace the sponge and ceramic.

4. kallililly1973

kallililly1973Well Known MemberMember

I like running all my AC filters with the sponge it came with on the bottom Polyfill on that then the ceramic the AC comes with on top to weigh down the polyfill.And I only change the polyfill and the sponge and ceramic get rinsed in a pail of tank water.

5. Skavatar

SkavatarWell Known MemberMember

i cut the sponge in half horizontally b/c its so thick. then i place a thin layer of poly fill on top of the sponge. then biomax or matrix on top.

during my weekly water changes it gently rinse the biomax/matrix and sponge in tank water. and replace the polyfill (its full of gunk).

6. OP
    OP
    Snailerator

These are the bio ball. Aquaclear Biomax

7. richie.p

ok thanks i now i see them, i've not seen them in the UK, i think youve got good advise above

8. OP
    OP
    Snailerator

Ok, so sounds like ill buy some polyfill, leave the sponge and biomax, and take away the carbon. How does that sounds? And I wont buy any matrix.

9. richie.p

we all do things differently it up to you what parts of the advise you use and what you don't, just keep your filter well maintained and it'll look after your fish