How Often Should You Feed Your Nerite Snail?

TheBettaSushi

Well Known
hey all! I just purchased a Zebra Nerite as the one I really wanted (a horned nerite) wasn’t available. The snail is in quarantine now (1.9 gal, heated, with an airstone) and will be doing water changes every other day or two days depending on test readings for a couple of weeks before putting him in the display tank to make up for not having a filter for it.

I have been placing rocks and plants that have accumulated algae from my display tank into the quarantine. So far the snail has pretty much cleaned it up and I don’t see any algae. However, I have read that nerites eat A LOT and I’m afraid I won’t have much to offer in regards to algae after all the smaller rocks that I can remove from the display tank are cleaned up. I purchased apI algae wafers as a temporary food only to find that they have copper in them so I won’t be feeding him those. I read that green blanched veggies (cucumber, zucchini, broccoli, spinach, green beans) will work but how often should I feed this guy? Every day? Every other day? How much should I feed? Once slice? Half slice?

I also ordered some minI veggie sticks with calcium and have heard that omega one veggie rounds are a good choice as well. However, the veggie sticks will take about a week to arrive. These are what I purchased

I can go ahead and purchase the omega one veggie rounds tomorrow if it’s something that is suggested.

I’m still on the hunt for algae wafers that don’t contain any copper or filler ingredients (like apI and hikarI wafers). Can anyone also suggest good algae wafers as an algae replacement for my snail?

Thanks in advance.

CaptAnnDuchow

Well Known
AQUATICBLENDEDFOODS Super... I buy tgis for all my snails. I feed every other day but I have lots of snails and snail babies. Like over 100 right now in the tanks.

Fanatic

Fishlore VIP
I didn’t feed mine daily, it had a lot of hair algae and biofilm on the glass at one point, and it was always busy eating that.
When I did attempt to feed it, the food was really not accepted well, which was wafers or a fresh piece of zucchini.

As a lot of keepers say, nerite snails do best when strictly kept on algae or in some cases vegetables, but they almost always will accept green or brown algae.

Hello congrats on the new snail! I agree with what fanatic said.. Most nerites won't accept veggies, they just eat algae. As far as the wafers go, don't worry about the copper. It is trace amounts, much lower than what would be in meds, and just about any veggie you feed snails naturally contains copper anyway.

If you really are worried about feeding him, get a container of tank water with some rocks/substrate/decor in it and set it in the sun for a few days to build some algae that way. You could also put the tank near a window, if its possible. Good luck.

Algonquin

Well Known
As said above, the HikarI Algae wafers are perfectly safe for your snail - I put them in my shrimp tank once in a while, they love it, and I've got a horned nerite in there too. The trace amount of copper in those wafers isn't going to harm any inverts

Natasha13

Thanks for asking this question.
I use tetra pleco wafers and break them apart dropping two 1/4 a wafer pieces in our tank twice a week, but I came on here today to see if that is enough for one nerite snail we also gave at least 4 bladder snails.

OP
TheBettaSushi

TheBettaSushi

Well Known
AQUATICBLENDEDFOODS Super... I buy tgis for all my snails. I feed every other day but I have lots of snails and snail babies. Like over 100 right now in the tanks.
I was looking at that but I hesitated because of the pellets. Not sure if my betta would choke on it if he tried eating it.

CaptAnnDuchow

Well Known
I was looking at that but I hesitated because of the pellets. Not sure if my betta would choke on it if he tried eating it.
Cant vouch for your betta but mine doesn't touch them.

OP
TheBettaSushi

TheBettaSushi

Well Known
Cant vouch for your betta but mine doesn't touch them.
My betta will eat anything and everything. I purchased the minI veggie sticks with calcium from the same brand of food you suggested. Let’s see how that goes. Thank you.

I didn’t feed mine daily, it had a lot of hair algae and biofilm on the glass at one point, and it was always busy eating that.
When I did attempt to feed it, the food was really not accepted well, which was wafers or a fresh piece of zucchini.

As a lot of keepers say, nerite snails do best when strictly kept on algae or in some cases vegetables, but they almost always will accept green or brown algae.
I do get green algae in my betta tank from my lighting, this is why I purchased the snail. However, I don’t have much to offer right now as the snail is in quarantine. I placed some rocks that had algae from my tank to the quarantine but the algae is minimal so not sure if it will be enough because I don’t know how much they eat. I’ve only read that they are constantly eating. I did place a small piece of blanched zucchinI in the qt now so let’s see if the snail will take it. (Crossing fingers that he does). Thanks!

Thanks for asking this question.
I use tetra pleco wafers and break them apart dropping two 1/4 a wafer pieces in our tank twice a week, but I came on here today to see if that is enough for one nerite snail we also gave at least 4 bladder snails.
Yeah I’m not sure on how much to feed either. This is why I wanted to ask those who have kept or are keeping nerites.

Hello congrats on the new snail! I agree with what fanatic said.. Most nerites won't accept veggies, they just eat algae. As far as the wafers go, don't worry about the copper. It is trace amounts, much lower than what would be in meds, and just about any veggie you feed snails naturally contains copper anyway.

If you really are worried about feeding him, get a container of tank water with some rocks/substrate/decor in it and set it in the sun for a few days to build some algae that way. You could also put the tank near a window, if its possible. Good luck.
Thank you! I placed a small piece of blanched zucchinI right next to my snail. Let’s see if he (or she) is going to take it. The only reason why I’m hesitate in the wafers containing copper is because I use NilocG Thrive c fert which contains a trace amount of soluble copper. I don’t want to overdo it with the copper so it’s best if I find a wafer that doesn’t contain copper at all. Thank you.

As said above, the HikarI Algae wafers are perfectly safe for your snail - I put them in my shrimp tank once in a while, they love it, and I've got a horned nerite in there too. The trace amount of copper in those wafers isn't going to harm any inverts
I looked at the ingredients in hikarI and they don’t seem very healthy. I know that hikarI used to be amazing with their quality but not anymore. I feed my betta frozen and high quality pellets/bug bites and id like to do the same for my nerite too.

HairyCatFish

Well Known
I can't remember the last time I tried to feed any of my Nerite snail's. Somehow they have managed to survive on algae, biofilm and the occasional algae wafers that I drop in for my other snail's and bottom feeders. I move my Nerite snail's from tank to tank so they always have a fresh supply of algae and biofilm. Once I looked under the hood and saw 2 of them eating the slimy green algae that grows on the underside of the light hood. So yeah mine manage to fend for themselves.

OP
TheBettaSushi

TheBettaSushi

Well Known
The zucchinI has been in there for about two hours and hasn’t been touched. I took some dragon stone rocks I had left over and placed them in a cup of tank water and put them out in the sun for now.

I also ended up purchasing repashy super green along with calcium carbonate powder to make my own algae snail food for days like this where he’s in quarantine with nothing to eat and for days where algae isn’t being produced fast enough in the tank he’ll be going into in a month or so.

This is the calcium supplement

This is the algae mix (found it cheaper on eBay with free shipping)

I’m waiting on the veggie sticks but from the looks of the uneaten zucchini, I don’t think this guy will eat the veggie sticks.

Do you think the calcium carbonate powder along with the repashy will be a good source of food when no algae is present in the tank?

Should I include anything else in the mix?

OP
TheBettaSushi

TheBettaSushi

Well Known
I can't remember the last time I tried to feed any of my Nerite snail's. Somehow they have managed to survive on algae, biofilm and the occasional algae wafers that I drop in for my other snail's and bottom feeders. I move my Nerite snail's from tank to tank so they always have a fresh supply of algae and biofilm. Once I looked under the hood and saw 2 of them eating the slimy green algae that grows on the underside of the light hood. So yeah mine manage to fend for themselves.
I have absolutely nothing in the qt tank as it’s fairly new and I pretty much set it up last night (I didn’t think I was going to purchase a snail but when I saw that he was the only one left (alive), I had to take him. He seems healthy and was moving around until I left an apI wafer in the qt. I removed it after a few hours as it wasn’t eaten at all. Now he’s just on a rock and has been there for quite some time. Not sure if the wafer caused his idling.

WTFish?

Well Known
Mine won’t touch anything unless it’s naturally growing in the tank.

OP
TheBettaSushi

TheBettaSushi

Well Known
Well he’s on the zucchinI and I think he’s eating it. I could be wrong though and it’s just in his way

6490040F-9023-4B3C-8602-9EC761D25AC0.jpeg
1CEF5E04-78ED-41F2-8F61-A55454B92713.jpeg

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
emmysjj
Replies
Views
BigManAquatics
Replies
Views
nanoist
Replies
Views
Snailwhisperer
Replies
Views
PlantedCommunityTank132

Random Great Page!

Did You Know...

Lucy contacted the Tetra SafeStart manufacturer to get some of the more common questions members had answered on how to use TSS correctly. See it here:
Q & A With Tetra about Tetra SafeStart

Aquarium Calculator

Desktop
Top Bottom