How often should I take out my plastic plants plants and clean them

Kim007
Sorry everyone I'm new to this, I did my first 25 percent water change, and gravel vac today, my tank has been cycled for two weeks, I'm just wondering if, and when I should take my plastic plants out and give them a scrub, I have 3 guppies, and two ghost shrimp in a 5 gallon.. Is this a monthly thing I should do? I plan on giving my sponge filter a few squeezes in another two weeks..Also should I gravel vac every week? Thanks for the help!!

Demeter
I gravel vac during every water change and I usually do 50% water changes each time. For the plants, only give them a rinse when you feel it's needed. The only fake plants I have are in an African cichlid tank, I just rescaped the entire tank today and gave the plants a good rinse in old tank water. I haven't rescaped the tank in months but that's only when I bother rinsing the decor.

Fisch
How do the plastic plants look like? As long as there are not really as many diatoms or algea, there is no need to clean anything.
Also, at this time you may want to leave the sponge alone as long as it has flow and does not look really dirty. Beneficial bacteria is just starting to grow and cleaning too early may disrupt the cycle.

Kim007
Thank-you so much, when you recommend that AI clean the sponge filter?
Kim007 said:
Demeter said:
I gravel vac during every water change and I usually do 50% water changes each time. For the plants, only give them a rinse when you feel it's needed. The only fake plants I have are in an African cichlid tank, I just rescaped the entire tank today and gave the plants a good rinse in old tank water. I haven't rescaped the tank in months but that's only when I bother rinsing the decor.
Thank-you
Kim007 said:
Demeter said:
Thank-you
Fisch said:
How do the plastic plants look like? As long as there are not really as many diatoms or algea, there is no need to clean anything.
Also, at this time you may want to leave the sponge alone as long as it has flow and does not look really dirty. Beneficial bacteria is just starting to grow and cleaning too early may disrupt the cycle.
As well, should I be adding benificial bacteria every water change, Tetra Safe Start Plus, Seachem Stability?

Fisch
Your fish are producing the Ammonia you need, beside dechlorinator there is no really need to add other chemicals. Cycling is a waiting game, bacteria in a bottle does not really speed up the process.
You may want to change water on a frequent base (like daily) to prevent the ammonia to get to poisonous levels. Otherwise it is waiting, measuring parameters, waiting, waterchanges, waiting...did I mention waiting???

Kim007
Fisch said:
Your fish are producing the Ammonia you need, beside dechlorinator there is no really need to add other chemicals. Cycling is a waiting game, bacteria in a bottle does not really speed up the process.
You may want to change water on a frequent base (like daily) to prevent the ammonia to get to poisonous levels. Otherwise it is waiting, measuring parameters, waiting, waterchanges, waiting...did I mention waiting???
Thank so much

ForceTen
I used to scrub silk plants and not used anymore plastic plants. Its time consuming and unnecessary.
I remove my silk plants and place them into a 5 gallon bucket. I fill this bucket with water and add about 1/2 cup of bleach. I do not measure the bleach so I am guessing a 1/2 cup.
I then allow them to soak for a couple hours or overnight. I have left them soaking for a couple days before.
Once the plants are completely void of any algae (yes it removes all the algae) I rinse them and then soak them in Prime treated water for a couple hours or longer if you wish.
They are now pristine and ready to be put back into the tank.

Note: I have learned this method works very well for everything that can or will get algae on them. Intake tubes I am no longer using the long tube style brushes. The bleach soak completely cleans them as well. All hardscape cleaning is done this way from now on.
No brushing anymore. I like it!

Latest threads

Top Bottom